Did you plan for water level fluctuations in your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What do you use the water for @poconojoe ?

Oddly I am on a gardening Facebook group and someone was sharing that they were capturing rainwater from a roof to water their vegetables and there was concern expressed about what was on the roof that might be getting into the garden. Someone suggested that they used their roof water to fill their garden pond instead of watering with it... so I guess it just might depend where your focus is!
We use it to water the many.....many plants, flowers, hanging flower pots, bushes, etc.
We don't like to waste any natural resources and having the rain barrel helps a bit. Every little bit helps...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have tested my water after horrendous rains, the ph has stayed just fine. Our rain is acidic also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Rain doesn't drop my ph, but I do notice a drop in kh after we've had a lot of rain. This past weekend we had 4.5" come down over the two days & my kh went from around 160 to right around 100. Easy to adjust, but it is the one thing I have to monitor in my pond on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Fortunately our rain here isn't too acidic. We had 2.5" of rain yesterday and while the pond is ALLLLMOST overflowing the intake bay (low point) it's otherwise pretty stable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What do you use the water for @poconojoe ?

Oddly I am on a gardening Facebook group and someone was sharing that they were capturing rainwater from a roof to water their vegetables and there was concern expressed about what was on the roof that might be getting into the garden. Someone suggested that they used their roof water to fill their garden pond instead of watering with it... so I guess it just might depend where your focus is!
Speaking as someone who has installed new roofing to removed old roofing now I'm talking about asphalt shingles here as they are the only ones that are even possible to consider there's a potential issue.
Even in the gutters there is generally 80 percent gravel as that is what shingles are lying into a bed of asphalt. If theres a issue for the health of someone eating the veggies then we are all screwed as 90 % of America has asphalt shingles and yes rain falls on those roofs and makes it's way into our waters. Now lead flashing is another story.

i collect rain water 2500 gallon cistern so ill let you know if start growing any extra body parts

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Speaking as someone who has installed new roofing to removed old roofing now I'm talking about asphalt shingles here as they are the only ones that are even possible to consider there's a potential issue.
Even in the gutters there is generally 80 percent gravel as that is what shingles are lying into a bed of asphalt. If theres a issue for the health of someone eating the veggies then we are all screwed as 90 % of America has asphalt shingles and yes rain falls on those roofs and makes it's way into our waters. Now lead flashing is another story.

i collect rain water 2500 gallon cistern so ill let you know if start growing any extra body parts
I'm glad it's you and not me. I'ver never heard of asphalt shingles. In Oz it's either colourbond or clay tiles. We have 12,000lt of rain storage from ours and nothing unusual grows in ours thankfully.

Ask a Question