dieing fish & high PH - HELP!!!!!

Reaction score
Heres the story,

I built my pond last summer, over christmas it bust because I used a cheap poor liner. I lifted everything and put in a new liner made with butyl rubber.

I put my fish in, checked water quality, all was fine. ph level was 7ish.

Hired a builder to lay slabs around the pond, I went to work - told the builder "DO NOT GET CEMENT IN THE POND"

when I came home there was as much cement powder in the pond as around it under the slabs, I checked the water quality - all was fine, except the PH was of the scale, my PH strips couldnt even read high enough.

I drained the water down entirely and cleaned all of the cement mix out of the pond, filled the pond up again, put the fish back in and checked ph instantly, it was around 7.5.

a week has passed, and I have been checking my ph level and its been rising every day, to help this along I was doing 50% water changes every day and cleaning out the pond with a pond hoover to try and get rid of any more residue that might be there.

today i had 6 dead goldfish and a dead koi, so I have drained the pond down again, taken the fish out and put them into a tank which i purchased and they are now in the house, ph level is around 7, I cut away any excess cement which was laying around the edges of the pond, the builder tried to smooth the edge with cement but I cut it all away as I am thinking rain water is soaking through it and into the pond, to be honest his cement work isnt good as the mix is still quite loose and i can lift with my finger tips.

the pond water has been back in now for around 4 hours and I check the ph and its sitting around 7.5-8, im hoping it doesnt raise and I can put my fish back in, but im keeping a check on this for a few days before I put them in again, am I doing the right thing? anybody have any pointers? ideas? etc.....i really am clutching at straws at this point...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I feel it would be best to slow down a little and let the pond go through a cycle and see were your at in a few weeks

Reaction score
Drain the pond and let the cement cure...can take at least a week. Especially if there is dye in the cement. Make sure all the tubing is clear no junks of cement.

Reaction score
also you have to remember that we have chlorine in our water which harms the fish so constant water changes are never good! like the above says take it down a notch or two lol. good luck and this has happened to many of us before including me.

~Marino~

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Barry, yes we have all had problems. You are not alone. My pond stays a consistent 8.5 PH and my goldfish are fine. Your fish are super stressed out. Let them and you relax a little and wait to introduce them back to the pond until after it fully cycles. Check the ammonia and nitrites before you put them back in. It is probably a lot more than high PH that is affecting them.Good Luck! Keith

Reaction score
woke this morning to find 4 more fish floating in the top of my tank including my last koi, im convinced they are all going to die. I had 30 fish, iv now got 14 (approx).....im completely gutted and actually upset about it......only fish at the end of the day but I cant help feel bad about it.....there is nothing in the pond now, ph was 7 lastnight, this morning its 9 after it rained.....looks like im going to have to let it sit for a few weeks/months to let it all settle down and start again....poor fish :D

nitrate levels (kh etc) are 0 and always have been

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Darn so sorry to hear that barry. Like they say above let your pond sit empty for a while, let the concrete cure, then fill it, let it cycle before you introduce fish back into it.

As we all say when disaster strikes, this too will pass.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
This is so very sad to hear. I'm thinking you are going to have to start all over w/ new fish unless you have a couple miracle fish left after it's all over
icon_sad22.gif

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Barry
Can you post some photos of the pond? Include some ot the work you had done. If you have cleaned all the stuff out of the pond and filled with new, declorinated water, then the only other thing could be nitrates since the water has not had time to cycle.

Reaction score
I will post when I get it settled an cleaned up properly, iv only got 1 goldfish left, however, I had the pond empty for 4/5 days and it rained really heavy, then I filled it up and now my liner is floating, there is a serious amount of water under the pond, how long would it take to drain away or will it just stay there and never drain?...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i had a large amount of water under my liner ...a drill ran pump costs about $10.00 slide a garden hose under the liner screw it on the pump and let the draining begin....fill your pond 1/3 full or so before pumping.......oh i got my pump at ACO hardware for $9.99

Ask a Question