Diet of Goldfish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I am not sure what's available in India. I presume that's where you want to buy it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The natural diet of Goldfish is basically the same as that of Carp (Koi)...insects, crustaceans, zooplankton, phytoplankton and sessile algae. The only difference is that Goldfish are termed mid-level feeders whereas Carp (Koi) are bottom-feeders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I give optimum and boiled veggies.

I will really like to know what different food you feed your fish home made to packed food.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've fed mine cheap Wardley's TEN Pond Pellets from Walmart, Blackwater (Max Growth, Color Enhancing, Cool Season) Tetra Pond Spring/Fall wheat germ sticks and dry Kirkland cat food from Costco. They like it all and seem to thrive from it all. I know @callingcolleen1 feeds her koi and goldfish dog food and has for a long time.
The first several yrs I had them I fed them nothing and they survived fine too. They just ate whatever they cold find in the pond, bugs, worms, plant life etc. I have goldfish only. They look mad now when I walk by as they aren't getting fed by me in Winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Cat food might be better than Dog food, cat food contains digestive enzymes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I feed black water creek koi food, omega one medium pellets, hikari saki color enhancing pellets.

I give them soilent green gel food sometimes and sometimes blood worms...

I switch to wheat germ in the fall and spring from black water creek and hikari saki.

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
Rajesh: "Cat food might be better than Dog food, cat food contains digestive enzymes."

I'm sure it makes huge economical sense to use cat food - but not sure if it makes any other sense.
Not to me anyway. I would think cat food have supplements that fish don't need at best , and might be
even bad for them on a worse scenario. For example chemicals that makes the cat fur shine.
I even try to avoid fish food that claim to boost the fish colours , as I am suspicious of these
supplements and see no reason for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My fish are too small to eat dry cat food, I hope its okay as treat for big ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If you don’t have good fish food available go online and find some recipes for gel fish food.

Another option is to grow a composite pile with red wiggler worms. India is warm enough to keep these out all year. Every day take some out, cut and wash them then feed them to the goldfish. Red wiggles are very good protein diet for the goldfish and they grow bigger on them cause of the extra protein. They are easier to digest for them than dry food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We feed our fish worms straight from the garden - nobody gets a bath before they get eaten, though. And we throw them in while they are still wiggling - give 'em a fighting chance. haha!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
We feed our fish worms straight from the garden - nobody gets a bath before they get eaten, though. And we throw them in while they are still wiggling - give 'em a fighting chance. haha!
For koi and single tailed large goldfish sure..

For fancy goldfish you’ll have to cut earthworms from the garden. Red wigglers are smaller. Also using them from a composte pile removes the risk of carrying parasites or viruses in the typical backyard...and saves you having to hunt and waste time looking for worms daily.

Ask a Question