Difference between Shubunkin and Comet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
On a whim, I stopped at an aquarium store yesterday and picked up two new fishies! The kid at the store wasn't sure if they were "Calico Comets" or Shubunkin -- said something about them being too young to tell the difference yet. Is there a difference between the two or are they the same thing? The things labeled as "Shubunkin" were twice the price and larger -- these guys were in an unlabeled tank.

They are about 3 inches in size, and have white, black, orange and blue coloration. No pics as of yet because they are being all fraidy-cat of me still. Google tells me a shubunkin is the same as a comet but with calico colors. Is there no such thing as a "Calico Comet"? Or is the problem that they may change to solid orange as they mature?

Total fish newb here, educate me?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In a nut shell, a Shubunkin is a comet with those colors. Some young fish [comets] will start out calico-colored, but will lose that as they grow. Shubies won't lose their colors, though they might change some over time. No such thing as a "calico comet."

But if they had the "blue" coloration, they probably were Shubies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think I have read that shubunkins by definition must have some red coloration. If yours don't have red then they can't be called shubunkins hence "calico comets" !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some blue, some sunrise subbies, some with only orange and blues, some with reds. Don't think they must have red to be shubunkins.

Capture5.JPG
Capture6.JPG
Capture7.JPG

"Unlike standard shubunkins, Ozark’s Sunrise Shubunkins do not have red, orange or black markings. Sunrise Shubunkins have transparent scales which allows their pink gills to show through, as well as a light blue body. Most also have solid black eyes."

iu

"Shubunkins are similar to the common goldfish and comet goldfish in appearance. They were first bred in Japan, from mutations in telescope eye goldfish (Demekins) c. 1900. They have streamlined bodies with well-developed and even fins. However, the shubunkins are calico goldfish; they possess nacreous scales (a mix of metallic and transparent scales that are pearly in appearance). The overlapping patches of red, white, blue, grey and black (along with dark speckles) normally extend to the finnage of shubunkins. Blue is the most prized colour in shubunkins. Calico originally denoted three coloured varieties of goldfish that did not include blue. The best blues are produced from line breeding of good blue specimens of shubunkins. Sometimes good blues may be obtained by breeding bronze (metallic) with pink (matte) goldfish, but a grey slate colour may result instead.Some Calico fish tend to have a pointy mouth.

It may take several months for the nacreous coloration to develop on a young fry (baby fish). Shubunkins are excellent pond fish because they reach a length of 9 to 18 inches (23 to 41 centimeters) at adulthood. A shubunkin goldfish is considered an adult at 2 to 3 years of age,[1][2] even though they live much longer."

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Anyone know how color dominances work between Subs and Comets? If the two breed would you get more shubunkins, comets, or mixtures of the two? Or would the babies be all olive or black?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Shubunkins were originally three colored comets, Calico started being used when there was two colors that were spotted on the fish. Now, there are so many variations and people have applied names to there genetic line that there are no more clear cut and defined definitions between Calico and a shubunkin. IMO, shubunkin should have red, and should have at least two other colors. As for the question of dominant, Comets would be more dominant, The more common the line the more likely that most fry would take the more wild side. But using a comet has it's benefits when trying to work with fin age and tails because the comet is dominate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Maybe it is the shape of the body also .My koi and fancy tails changed color a lot when they were young but as they got older the color settled in as yellow for most of the fancy tails .Not sure how they got to yellow but they did .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Since you guys are discussing Shubunkins...what is their life expectancy?
My 2 long fin shubs are anywhere from 8 to 10 yrs old, they are active and seem healthy, but this year they seem to have slowed down a bit, I thought maybe they're getting old.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Why would their be a difference in life expectancy between shubunkins and comets. Honestly if I had to be pick the toughest type of goldfish it would be shubunkins... those punks rule all goldfish ponds. All attitude. Like a herd of cats.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are also jumpers ,that is the reason I gave my 2 away .Pond they are in has higher sides and is 12 thousand gallons

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 103846
Are both fish shubunkin?
I would say that they are both Shubies. Pretty fish!
Why would their be a difference in life expectancy between shubunkins and comets. Honestly if I had to be pick the toughest type of goldfish it would be shubunkins... those punks rule all goldfish ponds. All attitude. Like a herd of cats.
I didn't get that the life expectancy question was for Shubunkin vs. comets, but just in general.
Since you guys are discussing Shubunkins...what is their life expectancy?
My 2 long fin shubs are anywhere from 8 to 10 yrs old, they are active and seem healthy, but this year they seem to have slowed down a bit, I thought maybe they're getting old.
Just looked that up, and they can live 25-30 years. Yours are hitting middle-age. We all slow down a little bit, LOL!

Ask a Question