different idea for cleaning pond?

Reaction score
I had this idea for the total spring cleaning of my pond. I first thought I would remove my 6 twelve inch goldies, 2 plecos, plants etc. to a tank, and drain pond of all water, then vacuum, refill, let water sit and reintroduce fish. Then, I had the bright?? idea since my pond is kinda figure eight shape could I use sandbags in the small middle section thereby doing one side at a time and cause less stress to my fish. I would sandbag off one half, and drain, clean and refill then let water cure (well water), swap fish over and repeat with other side. Am I crazy to consider this?? Has anyone else attempted to do it this way? I figure it would save obtaining a tank and aerating and covering it, moving the fish, and then having them in a foreign space till the water was right to return them. Wouldn't this cause them stress also? I estimate my pond to be from 1000 to 1200 gallons. I live in south florida but won't do this until march or april. Feedback please!!

Reaction score
Hi DrDave! Thanks for responding, I need all the input I can get (my thread finally showed up!) The area in question is about 4 feet across, the sides are straight up and down and the floor is level. I figure sandbags will conform pretty well here and from what I gather, they sort of mesh together and the sand seals off the gaps. I don't expect it to be completely watertight but some leakage should not be a problem since I can top off on the side where fish will be and I think I can drain the water quicker from the side to be cleaned than the leaks can fill it.... at least that is what I hope will happen!!! Aeration is no problem on either side. I mean if they could sandbag Lake Ponchatrain to stop the flooding in New Orleans...:100: So whatdayathink? Is it possible?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you might try to put a wide enough piece of plastic sheeting under and around your sand bag walls it might help

Reaction score
Yes, the plastic idea did cross my mind. It couldn't hurt and I would think it would seal off some leaking! I did take some pics but haven't been able to figure out how to get them to post. Still working on it. I also wondered if it is better to wait till spring or not. My water temps are back at 70 after a cold snap. Fish are fairly lively. Thanks for your input!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Last October I drained my pond to remove mosquito fish that had taken over. I had about 1800 and these little pirranhas eat any eggs as fast as they are laid.

That said, I wanted to retain as much water as possible to put back into the pond. I went to Home Depot and bought a box of 85 gallon bags and used them to line a series of trash cans and 55 gallon drums I had. In all, I was able to save 350 gallons. I pumped the water through a nylon sock to insure no mosquito fish survived in the water reserve.

If your water is clean and healthy, you may wish to consider doing the same when you remove the water for your cleaning.

Reaction score
DrDave, My water is healthy although the bottom has lots of pine needles and leaves that I hope to remove in the cleaning. Also, water is not a clear as it should be, I think due to gunk on the bottom. What would the drawbacks be it I didn't save any water and refilled with well water? How long do you think it would have to sit to "cure"?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
why not take a leaf net and clean the bottom i do it all the time stir it around and let the filter do its job than use your net some more thats all i do in arkansas i never had to drain my pond to clean the bottom try pond zyme plus you can find that on pond linner .com it helps

Reaction score
I was thinking that because I have never drained the pond in 10years, and there is a deeper part in the middle that is completely full of needles, leaves and mulm.... I have waded in, used a plastic pitchfork and taken out this debris but I felt I could not give it the thorough cleaning it needs because the water turned black and the rotten-egg gas bubbled up.. I think it would have killed my fish to continue. I also used a pondvac a number of times and it worked but it could not take out all the mulm because of the pine needles that kept clogging it up. So that's how I got to this idea to section it off and get in there and remove everything! Thanks for responding!

Reaction score
DrDave, yes I have a PF3000 biofilter. It does a good job keeping the water healthy and I clean it once a week. I have a waterfall, bubbler and spitter so it is well aerated. I think I am so far behind tho that I am due for this max clean out.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
From what you have described, I think I would do the major cleaning as well. Once you get the liner clean, maintain it so you don't have to go to this extreme again. Leave the bio filter as is so you don't kill the good bacteria. then with fresh well water, you shouldn't have such a shock getting the eco system in balance again. Once it is stable, do a back flush on the bio filter.

Ask a Question