Dilemma

Reaction score
What do I do with too many koi mix and gold fish? I have a 20' X 25' pond that is approximately 3 to 5 feet deep. We have several kinds of goldfish and two large Koi.

I must have at least 150 fish. They just keep multiplying.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could advertise on craigs list, see if anybody wants some free fish.

Reaction score
Thank you, i did think of it, but wasn't sure how to catch them. When we had redid our pond (made it smaller) a few years ago, I bought a pool, drained the pond and had the kids come over to help catch them. The next day the contractors finished catching the rest.

Reaction score
KennethO said:
CL or most pet stores will take some and may even give you a store credit.

Tried that. They Said they would last fall then when I called them in the spring they had changed their mind.

Called others, and they get theirs from suppliers.

Thank you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Improv said:
Your pond is going to be awesome!!!

We inherited ours when we purchased our house. Still learning.

Thanks, still working on it, but not as intensely.

That is a pretty large pond you have, what fish level are you trying to get to? My pond in arizona the fish load stabilized, as the fish grew they just eat the eggs and any fry that they could catch.

I figure that will happen here also, had only 5 fish at the beginning of the season, a ton of fry has managed to survive, mainly because my pond was so under populated.

Reaction score
Would like around 50. They just keep spawning. When we first had our pond downsized we counted around 200. (The pond was 20 X 40 and about 3.5 to 6.5 feet deep.)

The contractors took about 100. They had other ponds they were doing. So I guess free fish.

The Heron get spooked. Can't dump them in the river. I think I will try Craig's list.

Reaction score
So your local pet store isn't willing to take free Goldfish? That's a little weird. My local pet store offered to buy some of my Shubs, Comets and Goldies.

Reaction score
ComputerGuy said:
So your local pet store isn't willing to take free Goldfish? That's a little weird. My local pet store offered to buy some of my Shubs, Comets and Goldies.

Yes. Actually there are 2 owners, one said no problem call me around Memorial Day and I will help you catch them, and the other said no thank you, we have plenty when I called.

I did have some friends come over, they caught 20 (17 by rod (45 minutes) 3 by net (1 1/2 hours). And supposedly another friend of my husband is supposed to come by, if he remembers.

Ask a Question