Dirty Water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I finally finished installing my new little pond - twice as big as the container pond - and i was careful to wash any rocks that i used in or around it, but the water is still murky brown. Must not have washed the rocks carefully enough, or maybe my dirty hands grabbed the liner or dunking in a few too many times.

Will it clear up on it's own, if so how long will it take? If not how do i clear it (other than draining it and refilling it)? Is it safe to put my fish (and plants) in there once i treat the water? I do have a filter/pump that is attached to a waterfall (that is working but i'm still adjusting it), if that matters.....

Just want to know if it'll clear up enough for me to see my fish (and if it'll be safe for them to be in of course.)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Typically murky brown water will clear up on its own, but since this is a new pond be prepared for the water to turn green. This to will typically clear up on its own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Is it safe for fish/plants? I'm assuming so, since pond water is bound to be murky on and off anyway.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
13620286_10209571981357145_7020784541972840796_n.jpg

Still a WIP, but we're getting there.

I'm actually going to be adding some rock-on-a-roll to the edges to make it look more natural along the sides, but i'm still waiting for it to ship. Maybe i'll put the rock-on-a-roll along the edge between the first and second layer of stone (so on top of the layer there now, and put one more layer over it)!

Anyone have tips for adhering it to the liner, or will it just drape down into the water and the water will hold it to the liner so it doesn't float up (and so fish can't get under it)?

That will be next weeks project, along with designing around the waterfall spillway. Thanks to a friend i managed to find some free flagstone to use for that.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I realize that this is after the fact but the Skimmer and Waterfall units should be opposite each other to insure proper water circulation.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I'd let that pond settle for awhile before you put fish in it. Run the filter until it starts to clear, clean the filter then cycle it again till clear. Sometimes after a wind storm I'll have to clean my prefilter. Patience.

Ask a Question