Dirty water

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having trouble keeping my pond water clear. I've taken all types of advice, I've changed filters, left water dirty so that I could build up good bacteria to clear water, I've tried a UV lamp, it's cost me loads. The only luck I'm having with it is a self made filter from a green recycling box which the council supplied us with to recycle news papers. I've filled it in sections with gravel and foam from a local sofa warehouse, this seems to be working a little better than all the expensive filters I've purchased, but not how I want it. I can only see 5" to 10" deep. I've had the water checked so many times and I've been told it's perfect. I haven't lost any fish but I would like to see them more. My pond is only 3500-4000 litres if any one out there has had the same trouble and got over it your advise would be very welcome any advise from anyone would be a big help.

I've also started to get algae and don't really want to go down the chemical route if any one can HELP! it would be appreciated.

Reaction score
so water must not be green? uv lamp will take care of suspended algae within a few days usually.. but also kills good bacteria, so they may have a hard time keeping up...anywhere that might have had sediment get into pond? again that will usually settle down to bottom after a couple of days.. there are products out on the market to clear cloudy water but you will probably get cloudy again as they are temp fixes.. who is checking your water? i would ask for exact numbers and levels or buy my own test kit

Reaction score
Most species of nitrifying bacteria spend a short part of their lives floating in the water but for the most part are attached to a surface and are uneffectived by UV.

UV is the only 100% effective green water fix when installed correctly. If it didn't work it wasn't installed correctly and can be fixed. Or you can try the other 10,724 other "solutions".

Reaction score
I just took my thousand gallon pond that has been fallow for 3 years to clear. It had 3 inches of gook on the botom and clay in suspension.

It has been 3 weeks but it is about clear now.. I have a 1200 gph pump feeding a 5 gallon bucket filled with 8 inches of lava rock and 3 stages of filter material . I think I have about 300 gph filtering through it the rest of the water through a fountain.

The downside is I have had to clean it out daily because I have had to remove 5 pounds of gook per day for 3 weeks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great to hear,clear water is nice, takes a little work lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
epi but just look at the great workout you got from lifting all that crap outta there and now you have the clear water ta boot!
You might just want to continue doing that each week as part of a good exercise program :rolleyes:

Ask a Question