Disappearing fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the UK, in the Midlands. Over the last week I've lost 3 of my pond fish. The garden pond is covered with fine, galvanised mesh. Up until now I've had no predator problems. I don't think it could be an heron or any form of bird, I've dismissed a fox or cat because, it would be difficult for these animals to penetrate the mess & these animals would have move the mesh. The mesh as not shifted, yet I've suffered fish loss. (There are no water snakes or reptiles in my area of the country) It is a predator taking only one fish at a time & leaves no evidence behind. I thoughts are could it be a rat? Could a rat enter a pond, swim & catch fish?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have you considered as the culprit a two-legged upright hominid. If your pond is small, this would be an easy and quick task.
Here in the 'Colonies', they are stolen and then sold at Flea Markets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Are you sure they are even gone. Fish are notorious for being able to hide in cracks crevices you make think too small for them to hide.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure they are even gone. Fish are notorious for being able to hide in cracks crevices you make think too small for them to hide.

I wish & still hope this could be the case, but being the first fish disappeared a week ago I have my doubts; My fish love their feed & they all torpedo together for meal times. I've now pulled most of my water babies out of the pond for safety & set rat traps around the pond. One can only wait now.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Just curious, but how big is your pond and how long has it been up and running? And do you test your water for ammonia, pH, nitrites, and nitrates?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Jill, I'm also from your neck of the woods! Even if you have mesh over the pond, a visit from a heron could scare the fish into hiding for many days. We have herons here and my pond is netted 365. However, I was working on it earlier in the year when the plants hadn't begun to cover the surface much, and I left the net off overnight, I opened the bedroom curtains and there was the heron at the pond edge, poised. Luckily it didn't get any fish as a head count revealed all were present....but, it took well over a week for some fish to show up and be counted, they were scared stiff I reckon.
Mine also swarm to the edge for food when they see a human form, or if I sneak up on them tapping my foot on the rock edging will bring them to me, so they must have some memory which discounts the old theory they don't have a brain!
What have you got the fish in now, what types have you got? Would like to see some pics of your setup.

Ask a Question