Disappearing fish.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
We knew there were some owls in the area but I had never heard one and really didn't think that's what it was. I'm thinking about rigging up a motion sensor and trying to figure out a way to hook it up to our outside stereo system. Addy, I wonder if the critter sound would help. We do have a few coyotes that live in some woods about 1/2 mile to a mile up the road. we have heard them and seen them cross the road but never seen one near the house. the yard is fenced and the lab will let me know if they show up. I was able to shine the light on him last night and it didn't move while it was in the tree. we have flood lights, pond lights and solar lighting all around the pond area and it doesn't seem to bother it at all. Pellet pistol is loaded and ready too. I really don't want to harm it and will try all other options first. The wife liked the idea of a owl decoy but I am wondering if it will attact or chase. We have a Blue heron decoy and saw first nad when the real blue Heron came over the winter it attacked the decoy put a couple of holes in it and then started getting fish. After two or three attacks he finally broke it off the standing post and I had to go fix that. I took it down as someone suggested it might be attracting a mate as it was getting close to breeding time. BTW, flashing CD's don't work that well on owls!!!!!! His best watching post is actually the same post I have the flashing CD's attached to!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
this is from a boating thread.............iggy spreaders and say pond lol

If you put thin fishing line about five inches above the spreaders... it will deter the owls...they won't like hitting and will stop landing on the spreaders after you've put it up.

For the line, I'd recommend 14 lb. test Fireline, since it is very UV resistant and exceptionally thin and difficult to see for the birds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Would the owl get tangled in the line cuz if he does one might have a fun time getting him outta there :confused:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no clue jw, I enjoyed the owl visits to my yard, but did not have it fishing, just bathing in the stream

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
Would the owl get tangled in the line cuz if he does one might have a fun time getting him outta there :confused:

That's one problem I won't have, If I can't get it untangled with welding gloves on I'll load the line owl and all up and poof! It will just disappear. Started running some lines out today, my son is going to help me this next week and we are going to rebuild all the PVC wire covers to fit more snug and cover even more open areas to decrease the chances of it getting to the water where the fish are. I rigged up two motion sensor's today that should trigger if it lands on the wire covers or if it lands on it's known perch. The only thing I could figure out how to rig up to scare it with what I have is two spot lights and a old house alarm. the neighbors aren't going to like it as it is extremely loud but I had to figure out something to do. LESSON LEARNED! Next pond will be set up to be specifically for Koi and far better predator proof!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats just one problem with having social fish...we train them to come and feed from our hands...my fish come to anyone,even the dog.. and the ones i lost to the heron probably swam right up to him...lol ..or cry out loud may be the case.

Reaction score
sorry about the fish and the owl problem...not sure what to suggest. We keep our 2 large ponds netted from the time the ice thaws till it freezes again because of heron, and I was tired of loosing fish the first couple years. If I'm home and out I'll take them off.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've actually quit trying to get them to come to me. I don't feed in the same spot all the time anymore and I quit trying to get them tame enough to pet. I spent all last summer getting two large ones started feeding from my hands and petting them and thats the first tow the Heron got.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a motion sensored floodlight and its power ran to a 12 volt power supply hooked up to a car alarm siren or car horn should scare most anything off!

Reaction score
Well Koiguy that that definitely scare anything or anyone off. And when the red flashing lights showed up at 3 AM wanting to know what the disturbance is..."Well officer. See there was this owl trying to get my Koi. What are Koi you ask? Well they are..."

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
RSFish1 said:
Here's another suggestion from harbor Freight- http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html
It runs on batteries and makes a heck of a noise when something triggers the motion detector.

Ordered (3) and waiting for them to arrive.
As for motion sensors to the house alarm, That didn't work very good at all! I guess the wind was triggering the alarm, Now the wife is mad at me, the neighbors sure can't be happy with me, I know the dogs are freaked out, I'm tired and the house alarm has been disabled, got to call the house alarm people out today, along with someone that can do sheetrock repair. No pictures of the owl this morning!!! :bouncycig: The whole alarm system is in pieces on the kithchen bar and the wife said go get some freaking fish fillets and feed the darn owl but if I rig up another alarm to go off I'm going to be sleeping with the #$#^@%^*&(*&)*&*^#$^#@*&^(&{_*&(&%$&%$@^$#@T^ OWL! That was the last thing I heard the wife say as she left the house this morning heading to work, needless to say, This whole predator thing is about to drive us both nuts!
LOL, I'm still trying to figure out how she destroyed the alarm, the wall, and and the hallway and still couldn't turn the alarm off, 4am in the morning and I had to get into the attic to shut the thing down! And since I'm still not awake and thinking clearly yet, this would be a perfect time to ask as I have a good excuse. why would a woman get so mad about an alarm going off but still order new Koi knowing we have a fish eating owl driving us to near divorce? Is this a woman thing or a man going nuts trying to........Nuff said! Oh yea, they are suppose to arrive in the morning! This owl may be getting one bag of Fed-ex ebay Koi and I may be eating fish fillets.:fechten2:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
koiguy1969 said:
a motion sensored floodlight and its power ran to a 12 volt power supply hooked up to a car alarm siren or car horn should scare most anything off!

The flood light Might have worked, I don't know I'm still trying to get the screaming, alarm sound and the nagging wife sounds out of MY ears, that darn owl probably just sat out there and laughed all night! BTW, pellet gun no longer looks like a good idea, Twelve gauge pump shotgun with buckshot is looking like a lot better choice.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the car horn or car alarm setup can be set up right at the ponds edge and i was thinking more of raccons, herons and others that stalk the pond to hunt. and maybe a strobe light...it would be hard to hunt with a bright strobing light in your eyes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fishin, what a nightmare..............sounds more and more like that groundhog movie to me. Someday your wife and you will laugh about all this but for now I sympathize w/ you both. I hope you don't have to shoot the owl and I hope you can figure out the right thing to keep him away also.

Ask a Question