Disappearing rock fountain issues

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in the process of building (or I should say RE-building) a Disappearing Water Fountain in my front yard flower bed. I decided to use a preformed 50 gallon plastic pond insert from Lowes. I dug the hole and set the insert into it and then back filled with dirt and gravel. I then laid a pond liner sheet over the insert, then cut a hole around the inside perimeter leaving about a four or five inch overhang. I then cut off the outside perimeter, about a foot or more all around it. Next thing was to build a cement border that would hold a plastic drum grate on which to set the rock fountain. After it was all set up with the water in the pond and the pump hooked up to the rocks (three of them) I tested it out. Everything ran well. I then added small pebbles and rocks around the base of the larger fountain rocks and let it run all night.
When I awoke in the morning, I found that the pond had run dry enough that the pump was sucking air. Upon deeper investigation, I found that the water had seeped around and underneath the pond insert, causing the pond insert to buckle up in the middle and on the sides.
I removed the concrete border, plastic pond insert and basically excavated the whole area. My new plan is to put in an actual disappearing fountain basin that is 44" X 44" X 11". This one supposedly holds 60 gallons of water. the basin will be slightly elevated from the rest of the flower bed (maybe 4 or 5 inches). My biggest concern is that if not set up properly, I will end up with the same situation of water getting underneath the basin. I have considered laying pond liner sheeting around the perimeter of the basin (either on top or underneath) then sealing it with black foam insulation designed for rock wall sealing. Any suggestions or recommendations would be very helpful. The whole project has been put on hold due to the almost daily inundation of rain filling up the hole. The attached pics show what it looked like before I started, then laying in the insert, then the rocks (hypertufa rocks) and the grate without the rocks.

Attachments

• IMG_4538.JPG
    IMG_4538.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_4577.JPG
    IMG_4577.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_4589.JPG
    IMG_4589.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
From what I can tell, any water that ends up on the top of your ridge gets guided out of the pond, not back into it. And the rock closest to the camera sits on the other side of that ridge. IIRC, the usual way to build these things is to build a deep depression that covers anywhere water can possible fall and line it. Then put your support structure inside the liner and then cover the whole thing in rocks of some sort.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the preformed should not have been used .The liner would have made the well for the water and if you guide a downspout over there you get free fill ups

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I understand now that the pond insert was a bad idea. As far as the original photos of the ridge and such, that has all gone away. I have since tried to dry out the existing hole so that I could partial fill it back in with better soil and try to tamp it all tight. The problem I am encountering is the daily mid-afternoon showers that threaten to fill the hole back up. Once that is fixed, I will then elevate the area about four to five inches higher than the existing flower bed, level it out, then dig my hole down about 10 to 11 inches. Once it is level and the basin is in, then I will grade or slope down on all sides away from the basin (slightly). I will then lay down weed preventative sheets (weed mat) and lay down a layer of chipped marble rocks around it. As for the basin area top, I will arrange my "Hypertufa" rocks/boulders in the center and surround these with egg rocks, mexican beach pebbles and river rocks and, of course, LED lighting. As far as refilling the basin, I have a water line connection that has a small float valve attached. This will be located under the grating support.

Reaction score
Country
United States
From what I can tell, any water that ends up on the top of your ridge gets guided out of the pond, not back into it. And the rock closest to the camera sits on the other side of that ridge. IIRC, the usual way to build these things is to build a deep depression that covers anywhere water can possible fall and line it. Then put your support structure inside the liner and then cover the whole thing in rocks of some sort.
Yes, that large rock has gone away. I have made a taller rock with a smaller foot print. This will allow all four rocks to be closer to each other, thus hopefully preventing any splashing out. Thanks for the observation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm about 75% finished with my rock fountain. All I need to do now is lay down more river or beach pebbles, plant some small shrubbery, and put down a layer of chipped marble rock in the flower bed.

Attachments

• pic 1.JPG
    pic 1.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 290
  • pic 2.JPG
    pic 2.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 263
  • pic 3.JPG
    pic 3.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looks great!

Here's my completely unsolicited opinion: I'm not a big fan of landscape fabric and gravel in a flower bed. My experience has been that you will still get dirt on TOP of the fabric (or plastic - can't really tell from the photo what you're using) from silt and what not dropping in from above, and weeds will grow in even the smallest amount of silt. And weeding in a bed of gravel is not fun. Plus the gravel will heat up and stress any plants you try to grow there. My neighbor decided to fill his entire side yard with river rock to create a maintenance free space - he is out there spraying his weeds once a week.

Give me a good bed of soil and mulch any day - with enough mulch in a bed you'll rarely get a weed, and the ones you do are easy to pull. Again - just my opinion. Feel free to ignore!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe lights and anything lighter color because you want it to look bright even at night

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand the concern about pebbles or rocks/gravel heating up and stressing plants. Point taken. The black covering is fabric. Years ago I had put down plastic and then covered it with white marble chips. The problem was that the plastic deteriorated, leaving marble chips embedded in the soil. This time I will try to limit the depth of the marble/pebbles/gravel to just a thin layer. I do appreciate your opinion. As for lighting, I do have LED low voltage lights that I will be placing in and around the fountain and spotlighting plants, statues and the fountain. I will post again when it is completed. Thanks all for the comments.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm pretty much finished with this project. I installed the lighting but have not fine tuned it yet. Here are some pics both day and night. I may have gone a little overboard with the different rocks. Anyway, here is what it looks like.

Attachments

• 82018.JPG
    82018.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 820181.JPG
    820181.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 820182.JPG
    820182.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 287
  • nite1.JPG
    nite1.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 287
  • nite2.JPG
    nite2.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 262
  • nite3.JPG
    nite3.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 281
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You did a great final job with your project, I must say I love that really dark rock. all we get around here are pale, sickly looking stones.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
HMMM pale sickly stones .I bet there are some people who love your stones .I brought stones back from Cherokee NC and gosh they are so pretty .Wish I had a truck to go there are get a lot of them .I have rocks from NJ,PA,NC,VA, and asked family coming in to bring me a rock from the state they live in .I guess I am weird

Ask a Question