Disappearing Water!

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I posted about my stream disappearing. I checked all hoses and completely cleaned the pump and filter. No problem for two weeks. Today the water is disappearing again. Water disappears when pump is on. Disconnect the pump from electrical outlet and water comes back. It's being stored somewhere because when pump is off, water level increases to full again. Plug in, water disappears. Any thoughts??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm assuming the water is "disappearing " from the lowest point where the pump resides. So, while the pump is running, it's pushing the water to the highest point, then gravity returns it.

The "missing" water is being displaced from the lowest point and occupying the upper portion of the system. The water that's occupying the upper portion has to come from somewhere. If you want, add water to the system so the lowest point is full to your liking. If you turn off your pump after adding the water, the lower pond might overflow now. There should be no reason to turn off the pump.
Your pump should be running 24/7 365 days.

If you find that the upper area starts to overflow after adding water, then the water is not returning (via gravity) fast enough. This would indicate either your pump is too powerful or the return path is too restrictive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes! It disappears from the lower pool where the pump is. Pump on, water disappears. Pump off, water returns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes! It disappears from the lower pool where the pump is. Pump on, water disappears. Pump off, water returns.
Look at my previous post. Post #3. Doesn't that make sense?
The water in the higher section is supplied by the lower section, so the level in the lower section reduces.
Your pushing the water up, so it's getting displaced to the upper section. When you turn off the pump, gravity returns the water to the lowest point, hence the water returns, as you say.
You need to add more water in order to fill the whole system, but don't turn off the pump or it will all run back and probably overflow.
Make sense?

Reaction score
Look at my previous post. Post #3. Doesn't that make sense?
The water in the higher section is supplied by the lower section, so the level in the lower section reduces.
Your pushing the water up, so it's getting displaced to the upper section. When you turn off the pump, gravity returns the water to the lowest point, hence the water returns, as you say.
You need to add more water in order to fill the whole system, but don't turn off the pump or it will all run back and probably overflow.
Make sense?
Yes, it does make sense and thanks to you, I think the problem is fixed! I put 3 bricks in the upper pool just to see if the lower pool maintains water. It did! Thank you so much you your input solving my problem!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes, it does make sense and thanks to you, I think the problem is fixed! I put 3 bricks in the upper pool just to see if the lower pool maintains water. It did! Thank you so much you your input solving my problem!
The 3 bricks displaced some of the water in the upper section. Now less water is needed to fill the upper section to the point where it will rise enough to flow back down. And now there's less water draining back if you turn off the pump.
Remove the bricks and add water. If you want....

Ask a Question