addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our dvr system just paid for itself 100 times over.............

I dial in to home to check the pond daily as long as we are where we have internet. We have a wifi hotspot from virgin mobile that we travel with. We just pay for a month when we travel so we both can get on the net if we want to and to check the pond

So long story short, I checked the pond when we got here from maryland yesterday, all was fine. I checked it today, around 8pm or so, dusk. The main pond is one foot down in level. I FREAK OUT! Use the ptz to check out the stream, the deck pond, the pumps see nothing wrong.

Call my neighbor, great neighbor btw, she immediately goes over to the pond. I can move the camera and direct her to what I want her to check. IE look at your left side down at that connection, is it tight? check this edge any water, check this is it ok etc etc. Watch her walk the stream , tell her what to look at. Then I have her walk behind the bog wall, no water. Then she gets to our new ponds, lotus pond set up. We had installed three drain holes (small water falls between the lotus tub and the last preform) All three of the holes where plugged, she did not investigate what plugged them. I just directed her to the shut off valve and had her shut down that loop.

It was fun to watch her check things out and so easy to walk her though the system, since I could see exactly where she was at all times.

Luckily a huge storm is heading towards our house, hope it pours and gets some water back into the pond. OW I will need to walk her though doing a manual turn on of our auto water system.

I can see lightening, now need rain! Now see a tornado warning heading towards our house. Will watch until we loose power there lol

Reaction score
Amazing, I have some good tech, but so far none of it is involved in ponding. I need to work on that.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It helped us fight the heron, now it saved the pond. Not sure if my neighbor would have noticed in time, I would hope so, but you never know. We are going to redesign that loop, make it full proof, disaster proof and turn it off if we are not home, The worse that will happen is a great algae bloom in the small ponds for the tads and rosey red minnows.

no kidding tmann, my heart just about stopped when I saw the water level.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh man addy glad you checked it before it got dark! See those g-hog kids are out there throwing things in your pools to get back at you for kicking them out!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh man addy glad you checked it before it got dark! See those g-hog kids are out there throwing things in your pools to get back at you for kicking them out!

no kidding it was probably swimming in the tank and stuck its little paws in and covered the flow..................pay back time!

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow Addy, so glad you have that camera and such a great neighbor! Disaster averted.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
woo hoo it is raining! pouring! 0.11 inch so far, water pouring into the pond! yippee! My weather stations transmits to the net so I can watch how much rain we are getting.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's great, momma nature is taking care of your pond while you are away!

Oh and all your plants and corn too!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
now we are under flash flood warnings! Our house is safe, we are on the top of the hill! Will be interesting to see how much water gets into the pond with this rain.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I will be looking tomorrow at your camera's to see how it's doing. Yes will be interesting to see if it fills it up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We just lost power up there, but the dvr will reboot when it comes back on.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Geez glad you lost it now and not earlier when you had your almost disaster tho! All is well now!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah for gutter flow! the pond is full again! 0.55 inches of rain. Life is good in pond land.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
no kidding tmann, my heart just about stopped when I saw the water level.

I know (and hate) that feeling all too well, finding something major with the water level out of nowhere. Every time I do any big changes to the pond now I can barely sleep at night because I check it so much.

Just last week I got a larger pump and didn't realize the extra water flow was splashing over the back of the small creek behind a rock wall and drained my pond around 8 inches in 3 hours and I noticed it at around midnight otherwise I would've had a really bad morning.

I really need to get some cameras out there like that, It would be nice to watch the pond inside on my tv since it's too hot to sit outside now anyways.

Glad to see everything worked out OK!

Ask a Question