Disaster on pond " almost killed myself yesterday".....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear what a major disaster yesterday turned out to be for our pond new covering when we found the effects of the wind funneled down the side of our house almost took off from the pole after being hit by repeated freak gusts of wind .
I ended up trying to bring the thing in by hand and I admit it now , I panniced for a moment, [instructions forgotten because of the short term memory loss which is part and parcel of my disability] just when I needed them [then did the wrong thing for 5 minutes] before having to grab Val to help me with it .
My muscles have been screaming out in agony since yesterday afternoon"some damaged by numerous operations" the rest by Fibromyalgia [a side effect of these operations] today but at least one thing learned we need a weather station that takes windspeed/direction as well as weather.
The reason our windbreak tree was cut down last year by someone "I cant name names"just out of camera shot.
The result we now need to figure out a way of re-directing the wind by putting in a Garden gate that hopefully will direct the wind away from the parasol.
Plus we can watch the winds speed/direction and note down each days speed and direction to work out a pattern of when and what other directions of wind speed may try to lift the parsol of its pole so that we have a broad idea of when it needs to come down [which if brain works should be a one person job]....
Just to be doubly sure that the wind wond get under the folds of the parasol when stowed I employed a skill learned as a boy sailor aged 13 at Naval Boarding school I've lashed it up like the hammok I had the pleasure of sleeping in for 4 years prior to joining the military .
However I'm kicking myself over this as I thought I'd covered every angle :sad: .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dave,
sorry to hear of your problems, hope you're feeling better today. We've had a very windy spring in the UK. One of my hobbies is flying radio control planes, so I'm constantly monitoring wind conditions, and there haven't been many calm days over the last few weeks.
Take care,
Chris.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a Davis weather station, constantly watch the weather, wind gusts, direction etc . Mainly for fun, but good to know

Glad you didn't get hurt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sorry to hear this Dave but I'm glad you are trying to figure out a way to stop it from happening in the future.

We have had a very windy season here as well. My worries are more about the tree near my pond dropping leaves, branches, helicopters etc. Makes for a huge mess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Dave, First of all, I'm glad you weren't hurt! Your post has me now interested in a weather station. Wow, just checked out the Davis Weather Staion @addy1 , looks super neat, but not in the budget right now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave,
sorry to hear of your problems, hope you're feeling better today. We've had a very windy spring in the UK. One of my hobbies is flying radio control planes, so I'm constantly monitoring wind conditions, and there haven't been many calm days over the last few weeks.
Take care,
Chris.
I have a Davis weather station, constantly watch the weather, wind gusts, direction etc . Mainly for fun, but good to know

Glad you didn't get hurt
I'm sorry to hear this Dave but I'm glad you are trying to figure out a way to stop it from happening in the future.

We have had a very windy season here as well. My worries are more about the tree near my pond dropping leaves, branches, helicopters etc. Makes for a huge mess.
Dave, First of all, I'm glad you weren't hurt! Your post has me now interested in a weather station. Wow, just checked out the Davis Weather Staion @addy1 , looks super neat, but not in the budget right now.
So glad you're ok. You sound like me. I always cover every angle...Except 1. :) Feel better and heal quickly!
So very sorry my friend. Wind can be a blessing and a curse. The most important thing is to take care of yourself. I'm pretty certain your Val will watch over you. Material things can be replaced but you cannot.
Thank you all for your kind words yes I agree you alays cover everything a[part from one , I'm still in a bit of pain but managed to ride the worst of it last night .
Today it stayed down but when the wind drops up it will go again because it acctually does a great job of shading the pond .
CeeJay what model of weather station do you have please mate .
At the moment our IT man Jon is on the hunt for one for us Mapilins seems like the best option to us to buy one .
Tula I've a feeling your going to enjoy everything about them when you get one , e have an indoor with remote external sensor but it doesnt give us the wind speed or direction
Maria will reply to your PM just as soon as it will let me again thanx everyone and big Lou you jnow me I bounce :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm imagining you like Mary Poppins, flying off over the chimney tops clutching to your umbrella!
Lisa I can laugh about it now thank god but att the time yes thats what I could envisage happening :LOL:

Dave

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm glad you're ok too . Dave
Sails are made to blow with the wind

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed Dr Case they are as a former sailor I know that however how many sails have brought ships to the rocks before now nore than we can count here in the South West of the UK that was my fear at that time .
CeeJay I'll check into that thanx again :happy:
As you can now see all saved off and ready to be checked daily :)

Dave

Ask a Question