j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I was sitting at the kitchen table today organizing some bills and heard water running somewhere. Thought maybe the tank on the back of the toidy was running or something. Followed the sound into my computer room where I have a 32 gal aquarium w/ my big pleco in it. Oh man oh man...............water was coming out the bottom at a pretty good rate all over the floor. Ran and got buckets to set under it while I ran for towels and a siphon hose. In between I'm rescuing the pleco w/ a big net and trying to get him into a bucket before all the water is gone out of the tank. Hubby gets home and walks in to the disaster and we are both wiping up water, emptying buckets etc. Looks like I need to find a home for him now for sure. Called a guy who has 40 some aquariums in his home as a business and hopefully I can take the pleco to him on Thursday. Meanwhile he is living in a 5 gal bucket w/ an air stone and I keep giving him some clean water partially. Hope he will be ok w/o a filter for a couple days. It's warm in my computer room so that should be ok. I am too pooped to pop right now...........ohhhhhhhhhhhh my aching back, ma ma
whew3.gif

Reaction score
So sorry you had a bad day..hopefully he will be ok in that bucket until then..maybe you could post for someone to come get him earlier than Thursday?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow jw, tank failure, that does not happen very often. Hope nothing got really damaged in your room. And your fish does well.
We have multiple shop vacs they work great for water goofs. (my other hubby did not believe in having one of anything)
Sounds like the guy has a good set up and will take good care of your baby jw. good luck to you and your fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good thing you went to see where water sound was coming from and I guess now this has happened it is just an omen since you said you were considering getting him a new home now or later .I guess it must have been telling you time is now or never but sorry to hear it's closer to now sorry

Reaction score
I would not worry about your Pleco too muc. They are very hard. Throw him a piece or 2 of lettuce and he will be happy.
I cannot imagine a tnak failing like that. I have had tanks inside for years and cannot imagine coming home to 75 gallons of water everywhere. Really good thing you were there. Wow!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Ugh, the dreaded tank failure! THAT SUCKS, simply put! I had a 225 Salt water reef tank that the glass split at the pre-drilled hole in the bottom, Got the fish out relocated them, safely, pumped all the water out then got three BIG guys to help me move it, It still had about a inch of water in the bottom and the live sand, when we picked it up to move it the WHOLE bottom burst, talking about a smelly mess!!! that was the end of reef tank for me, $8000 investment and it was all destroyed in a matter of minutes! Not to mention caused over $6000 in damage to the house as we had to replace carpet, sheetrock, molding, and the front door as the water damaged the door facing and warped it beyond repair.
On the pleco, wish I was closer, I have a perfect home for a few Nice size pleco's and been looking for a few lately.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
j.w said:
I was sitting at the kitchen table today organizing some bills and heard water running somewhere. Thought maybe the tank on the back of the toidy was running or something. Followed the sound into my computer room where I have a 32 gal aquarium w/ my big pleco in it. Oh man oh man...............water was coming out the bottom at a pretty good rate all over the floor. Ran and got buckets to set under it while I ran for towels and a siphon hose. In between I'm rescuing the pleco w/ a big net and trying to get him into a bucket before all the water is gone out of the tank. Hubby gets home and walks in to the disaster and we are both wiping up water, emptying buckets etc. Looks like I need to find a home for him now for sure. Called a guy who has 40 some aquariums in his home as a business and hopefully I can take the pleco to him on Thursday. Meanwhile he is living in a 5 gal bucket w/ an air stone and I keep giving him some clean water partially. Hope he will be ok w/o a filter for a couple days. It's warm in my computer room so that should be ok. I am too pooped to pop right now...........ohhhhhhhhhhhh my aching back, ma ma
whew3.gif

JW, first of all, I've felt & shared your pain and frustration. Perhaps these Irish sayings are "right on the money":

"Nothing is as easy as it looks.
Everything takes longer than you expect.
And if anything can go wrong,
It will, at the worst possible moment
."
[especially when water/tsunami is involved]

murphys_law_poster.jpg

MLposterlaws.jpg

MrsMurphyslaw.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and concerns. The water was just seeping out of one of the seams or corners on the bottom and leaking all the way across. We got it cleaned up pretty fast and I left a heater on all night in the room. It does not look like there was any damage to the floor. I'd say maybe 10 of the 32 gals made it to the floor. What a mess! The tank was prolly about 15yrs old. The fish seems to be fine. Tomorrow he will go to his new home at least until the guy sells him or decides to keep him. He sounded like a really nice guy. I had decided not to have any more fish tanks................but what a way to end it all :regular_waving_emot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In some ways good timing jw, you were ready to move on, in some ways that sucks, cause you had to move faster than you wanted to send your fishy to a new home.

But all in all things turned out ok, it is going to a good home, you and hubby will be able to travel without worrying about your fish, in the tank that is.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm happy as the pleco now has a new home. The guy saw him and decided to keep him for himself and he's going in a big tank w/ some fancy goldfish in it. He will be much happier now outta that old bucket. The guy had massive tanks in his house and his house was quite warm.........salt and freshwater fish of every kind there is available. He does sell fish also but likes to keep the pleco's as they keep the freshwater tanks so clean and free of the algae. I'm gonna bring him the leaky tank later as he fixes those up to use for his fish or to sell :cool:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great jw! a great new home for your baby.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well glad you are happy and your fishie got a good home and will have new friends too .He will be a happy fish so at least you will not have to worry about him

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep guys and I will get to see him in his new tank when I bring the old leaky one down there :cool:

Ask a Question