Disaster with Pond Contractor. Leak still exists. Advice?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi everyone,

I've gone 3 rounds with a contractor who tried to overcharge me 300 dollars for a pond rebuild. Part of the deal was to fix a leak they were supposed to fix 4 weeks ago. They resealed the bottom of my top pond but its leaking again. 8 years ago it was leaking in a different place and I fixed it myself with a huge amount of Marine Goop in every crease and it worked. I'm thinking of doing the same thing again.

If anyone has any ideas of other ways to fix this problem I'm all ears.

Here are some pics

2013-02-22_16-41-51_23_zps34ab19ad.jpg

Leak:

2013-02-22_16-41-43_580_zpsbdb18ad2.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
First I take it that there is no liner (Right)
If it is just brick and mortar it will leak if it is not leaking now it will.
Mortar, Cement and brick/stone is very porous and will soak up water and it will blead out the other side.
Mortar will actully soften and crack when submerged and then leak.

My self I would pop drain it pop that flagstone cap
Get a liner drape it up and over the edge redo the flagstone cap wait a few days trim the access liner on the edge.
no leaks no future damage.

Ruben

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Right no liner but it was sealed with a pond cement sealant. The stone is mortared in and the pipes prohibit a liner which is why I paid to have it sealed.

Ruben Miranda said:
Hello
First I take it that there is no liner (Right)
If it is just brick and mortar it will leak if it is not leaking now it will.
Mortar, Cement and brick/stone is very porous and will soak up water and it will blead out the other side.
Mortar will actully soften and crack when submerged and then leak.

My self I would pop drain it pop that flagstone cap
Get a liner drape it up and over the edge redo the flagstone cap wait a few days trim the access liner on the edge.
no leaks no future damage.

Ruben

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of those sealers, if not done right and a lot of coats, will still leak. Do you know what kind they used?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you tried that spray on rubber sealer .I bought a stock tank cheap 5 dollars for a 250 gallon one and it had a big crack in it and bought the spray on rubber stuff from lowes and it worked so far been over a year and no leak yet .The crack was over 6 inches long .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The spray on rubber goes in to the smallest crack and seals it .Even walmart carries it now .It comes in white black and clear now .I saw it at home depot .It has gotten cheaper also .Some use that gold seal stuff also that the use on fish tanks .I have used the spray stuff also to seal up leaks in a metal shed and a leak in my gas tank on my push mower .Could have gotten a new tank for it but had the spray and figure oh well if it does not work then new tank .But that was almost 2 years ago I did the gas tank .I have sealed a leaking concrete bird bath with the white kind of it .It gets plenty of uses around my house .Small leaks and medium sized leaks get sprayed now .Cheap fix

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'll check into it thanks! What I really want to do is find the leak. There has to be a chemical you can put in the water to trace it to the source.

And of course whatever sealant I get must be fish friendly!!

sissy said:
The spray on rubber goes in to the smallest crack and seals it .Even walmart carries it now .It comes in white black and clear now .I saw it at home depot .It has gotten cheaper also .Some use that gold seal stuff also that the use on fish tanks .I have used the spray stuff also to seal up leaks in a metal shed and a leak in my gas tank on my push mower .Could have gotten a new tank for it but had the spray and figure oh well if it does not work then new tank .But that was almost 2 years ago I did the gas tank .I have sealed a leaking concrete bird bath with the white kind of it .It gets plenty of uses around my house .Small leaks and medium sized leaks get sprayed now .Cheap fix

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
texmaster said:
They used Pond Armor
I know nothing about it, another forum I am on says everybody they know that has used it are unhappy with it. They recommend Rubberizeit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
addy1 said:
I know nothing about it, another forum I am on says everybody they know that has used it are unhappy with it. They recommend Rubberizeit
And I have a can of that. Can I put that on top of the pond armor?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't know. The main problem would be do the two bond together. I will see if I can find out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wonder if you could use the blue or black pond dye in your water and it will tell better .You would have to rough up the surface of whatever they put in there so something else could stick .I was wonder if you could see where it is pulling the water in with something like thin cloth piece .Put a piece in the water and see if it gets sucked to a certain area .I know I used it on a cracked plastic tub .We could not see the crack but my neighbors tub was leaking some where and found no leak by the outlet .So I used a piece of scrap cloth and it finally landed in the spot where it was leaking and she had to get a new tub since it was not the drain .

Ask a Question