disinfecting pond equipment

Reaction score
recently got my hands on a used skimmer bucket and a used filter. It was previously used in another koi pond. What i want to know is if there is some sort of fish safe way to disinfect these since they were in contact with other fish. I heard something about a chlorine compound used in catfish hatcheries, and also something about a lot of salt...Any advice or ideas?
:eek:

Reaction score
I have used chlorine bleach and muriatic acid on filters and other equipment. Just rinse it well and let it sit out a couple of hours, it will dissipate pretty easily.

Reaction score
I agree Dr. Dave, you have to be careful. I do rinse very well and have never had a problem. It will knock off any pathogens. You definately don't want it near any bio media!

Reaction score
I heard that bleach can seep into the glass and over time harm the fish. That even if we can't smell it, remnants of it are still there. Kind of the same reason I heard not to use soap on fish items. Is this True?

Ask a Question