Disposing of Potassium Permanganate water post-treatment?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've treated for parasites using Microbe Lift Broad Spectrum in my temporary holding tank (redoing a grievously horribly designed pond), and my finned friends appear much more comfortable than they were. However, a couple of the fish have cloudy eyes and one of those seems to be working harder to breathe than she should. I intend to treat only the affected fish with cloudy eyes (2) with Potassium Permanganate (using the liquid version from UltraClear) in a separate smaller container. I'm wondering whether the water from the Potassium Permanganate needs to be disposed of in a special way so as not to damage vegetation?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1594854723558.gif
@shezadandy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! I definitely plan to use hydrogen peroxide following the PP treatment. This is the first time I'm having to deal with parasites in over 12 years of having koi ... and it is frustrating. I'm sure the stress of being in the holding tank hasn't helped, but the in ground pond at our new house wasn't a whole lot better. It also came with a GBH scaring them every day- the net we installed kept them physically safe but the previous pond (that we're redoing) was only 24" at the deep end, nowhere to hide. Almost done with the new pond, and I really want to make sure we're not bringing pest problems along.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
@shezadandy Glad to see that you are being not only proactive, but environmentally conscious, as well!

Thank you! I ended up treating everyone when I saw a couple others had small patches of potential secondary infections from the parasite damage, so they got moved to a 35 gallon PP bath for 4 hrs with an 800gph pump running for hours before and during the entire treatment. Decided to treat in a smaller container to minimize the amount of treatment water I would need to empty - while I did reverse it with hydrogen peroxide after 4 hrs, I still decided to dump the water to the septic system for peace of mind. I lost one since, one of the smallest. The eyes are looking better. My plan is (with the new pond almost filled) to wait a week, do a second PP treatment and then put them into the new pond following the 2nd PP treatment. I really, really hope that's the end of theses parasite related woes!!!

Ask a Question