Diverting rainwater into pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is 10m by 8m and frequently needs topping up. I don't think there is a leak through the liner.

I'm toying with the idea of diverting rainwater from the roof of the house into the pond, using a 20m buried pipe. I think the angles are such that the water will flow into the pond ok.

To avoid overfilling the pond, I would fit some kind of a gate so as to be able to 'switch off' the flow into the pond

Has anyone tried this I wonder? What could possibly go wrong!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How much is it going down, and how often are you having to fill it? If there is a leak, you really might want to locate that leak. Leaks tend to grow larger over time.

As to your question about using roof run-off….not something I am familiar with, but I know that others do. They can discuss the logistics.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome!

I use a 4" PVC pipe from my downspout to my upper pond. All is above ground since it is close and my ponds are on a slope. I used to put the pipe in place before rain and then remove it. I have since added and extra overflow to my first pond, a stock tank with a turtle, which then flows to my lower pond, in-ground liner pond. I designed the lower pond to have a natural overflow with liner over the top and down the slope and natural rock straining the overflow. I now leave the pipe in place 24/7 since the ponds can handle the overflow.

In your case, if wanting to control the flow; sounds like you would need some type of diverter valve on your downspout. I have seen something like that included with rain barrel kits; if you want something ready made.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 4 down spouts feeding my pond, which is downhill from our house. I put in a low area covered with rocks letting the water flow through them so fish don't get washed out.

A good rain the pond is really full and gets a good water turnover.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I collect from the roof it goes a short distance underground where it empties under a Boulder in the pond. The pond has a negative edge and never fluctuates. Its always the same water level as the pond d has a negative edge so if it rains and throws a 1000 gallons it overflows the negative edge where it then e ds in a 3000 gallon cistern.
The cistern has an o error fow if to much water goesin itsimpmy overflows low side and drains away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My metal roof rain gutters empty into rain barrels with overflow diverters. I use the water in the rain barrels to top off my little pond as needed. I have read that some roof materials can be toxic, but don’t know any details.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1654122868531.gif
@BernieOpp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have read that some roof materials can be toxic, but don’t know any details.
don't believe everything you read or hear today that's for sure. Many and i do mean many will say the bog is the worst for your pond. yet mother nature has done it this way for millions of years. others will say use a uv that kills the algae well not sure about you but i seldom eat anything alive but my food was picked and no longer is growing . it provides me with food yet killing algae and leaving that food in the water is a better process ... ohhhh i seee... NOT .. the bog promotes bacteria and micro organisums to absorb /eat these supplies.

While asphalt is the main product in roofing and it does leach oils SLOWLY and i mean very slowly , as does your driveway, highway, and parking lot. people have been drinking from rain barrels that they have collecting water from there roofs for 1000's of years

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here’s an abstract from the article I mentioned, “Roofing Materials Assessment: Investigation of Five Metals in Runoff from Roofing Materials”

“Abstract​

To assess the contribution of five toxic metals from new roofing materials to stormwater, runoff was collected from 14 types of roofing materials and controls during 20 rain events and analyzed for metals. Many of the new roofing materials evaluated did not show elevated metals concentrations in the runoff. Runoff from several other roofing materials was significantly higher than the controls for arsenic, copper, and zinc. Notably, treated wood shakes released arsenic and copper, copper roofing released copper, PVC roofing released arsenic, and Zincalume® and EPDM roofing released zinc. For the runoff from some of the roofing materials, metals concentrations decreased significantly over an approximately one-year period of aging. Metals concentrations in runoff were demonstrated to depend on a number of factors, such as roofing materials, age of the materials, and climatic conditions. Thus, application of runoff concentrations from roofing materials to estimate basin-wide releases should be undertaken cautiously.”

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here's a little history for anyone who would like to know. New york , Boston , LA, Chicago , and miami i believe were the cities used and poland springs desani and a couple designer bottled waters were put in a taste test. and guess who won..... New York CITY

Hard to believe when you realize the MILES AND MILES OF LEAD PIPE and lead solder. oh and if it is not in a lead pipe or lead lined it's in a copper pipe as is every home in america until what 15 years ago when petex started to make an impact. We all drank it for years in early development stages of life and do so up to this morning when we brushed our teeth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome!

How much is it going down, and how often are you having to fill it? If there is a leak, you really might want to locate that leak. Leaks tend to grow larger over time.

As to your question about using roof run-off….not something I am familiar with, but I know that others do. They can discuss the logistics.
Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome!

I use a 4" PVC pipe from my downspout to my upper pond. All is above ground since it is close and my ponds are on a slope. I used to put the pipe in place before rain and then remove it. I have since added and extra overflow to my first pond, a stock tank with a turtle, which then flows to my lower pond, in-ground liner pond. I designed the lower pond to have a natural overflow with liner over the top and down the slope and natural rock straining the overflow. I now leave the pipe in place 24/7 since the ponds can handle the overflow.

In your case, if wanting to control the flow; sounds like you would need some type of diverter valve on your downspout. I have seen something like that included with rain barrel kits; if you want something ready made.
Many thanks, appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 down spouts feeding my pond, which is downhill from our house. I put in a low area covered with rocks letting the water flow through them so fish don't get washed out.

A good rain the pond is really full and gets a good water turnover.
Many thanks for you advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I've just joined this forum and am really pleased to read about this.
We have a modest wildlife pond in our front garden (a 500 litre rigid liner). In the Summer, the water level drops by up to 20cms unless we top it up from the water mains. We are on a water meter, so this isn't a great idea.
About 7 metres from the pond we have a rainwater downspout from the main house roof, so I have ordered a water diverter that has a diverter tap, plus a 10m length of 25mm corrugated pipe from the usual Internet sites (total cost of ~£40). My plan is to temporarily connect up the pipe to the diverter when I know that rain is forecast and refill the pond in this way.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has tried this and any other feedback on my proposed solution.
Many thanks, Howard

Ask a Question