?Dividing water lillies

Reaction score
I had bought several water lillies perhaps 3 or 4 years ago. Last year, I never got my small pond cleaned out due to work and later health issues. one of the lillies came up last year and thrived. It has come up with vigor this year. I spent the day draining and cleaning the pond.
The sole remaining water lilly is planted in a 3 to 4 qt. plastic pot. When I pulled it out, shoots covered every available space on the top of the pot. Roots were growing out of every opening in the pot. I am thinking I need to something with it, but not sure what to do or when.

Can I divide it? when is the best time to do it? Should I cut the pot down the side to give them more room? I am concerned that they will foat to the top if I de-pot it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can groom it now, it will slow down its blooming. The main thing you want to do is cut the tuber so you have the leaves and some tuber left. Remove any brown dead looking roots. When you repot it, put the end of the tuber with the leaves pushed against the side of the pot, the leaves towards the center. I grow mine in kitty litter clay the pure clay cheap walmart litter. If they float use a rock to hold them down

Here are some links on grooming lilies.

http://www.doityours...nt-a-water-lily

http://www.watergard...atic-Plant-Care

Ask a Question