Diving beetle??? Are they ok? Help please!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so yesterday evening I planted my water lillies and they are doing great. I used some very loamy clay like soil out of our irrigation ditch that is fed by lake pleasant north of us here in Arizona. However when I was skimming the Palo Verde flowers out of my pond this afternoon a huge!, like one inch long by half and inch wide brownish black swimming beetle came to the surface then very very quickly dove away as I tried to catch it. I think it came from the soil I used from our irrigation ditch. I'm thinking it's a diving beetle? Are these ok for my pond and plants or should I try to remove it if I see it again or leave it alone? I have quite a few minnows and gold fish and two small koi and a turushuki cat fish in my pond. What should I do! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so yesterday evening I planted my water lillies and they are doing great. I used some very loamy clay like soil out of our irrigation ditch that is fed by lake pleasant north of us here in Arizona. However when I was skimming the Palo Verde flowers out of my pond this afternoon a huge!, like one inch long by half and inch wide brownish black swimming beetle came to the surface then very very quickly dove away as I tried to catch it. I think it came from the soil I used from our irrigation ditch. I'm thinking it's a diving beetle? Are these ok for my pond and plants or should I try to remove it if I see it again or leave it alone? I have quite a few minnows and gold fish and two small koi and a turushuki cat fish in my pond. What should I do! Help!
I've never had trouble with them, they come in all sizes too. They have lived in my small pond for years.

Reaction score
That size I'd assume would be a Giant Water Bug Lethocerus americanus of some kind. They will feed on small fish and can bite but I personally wouldn't worry. The minnows, I assume Mosquitofish can out reproduce any loss. They will walk on dry land and at least some fly. So may have come in on its own too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys! It surprised the heck out of me and I'm not big on creepy crawlies so I kinda got the heebie jeebies lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looked like this. Says it's a giant black water beetle

Attachments

• IMG_9257.PNG
    IMG_9257.PNG
    140.1 KB · Views: 708
Reaction score
I do call those types of bugs "diving beetles" but that could just be me. Without the big front legs I never though of them as catching fish...never seen it anyways.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen the big water spiders eat fry, they drag them up onto the lily pads, never caught a beetle eating any fry.

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
http://eekwi.org/critter/watercritter/giantbug.htm

I love these giant water beetles! When I filled my pond with liner, rocks and water last fall, this was the very first sign of life I saw. I saw him/her several more times as I continued to line the pond. I think they fly in and/or out, and being that you saw it hanging out, meant it liked what you have created.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Both the adult and larvae can be a danger to small fish. The aquatic larvae have huge jaws that shoot out and grab hold of unsuspecting small things....at least that's what the UK's Great diving beetle larvae do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
ihv seen it catching and trying to eat my betta in aquarium , i had to catch it , i was doing experiment , i think i saw in one documentary too on discovery that it eats fish , can b slowmoving smaller ones

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
see this how dangerous it is
Giant water bug eats big fish - YouTube

Giant Waterbug Feeding on Goldfish - YouTube

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Diving beetles are not vegetarian.... apex predator is more their thing

Last edited:

Ask a Question