DIY 150 gallon brainstorm

Reaction score
WOW there really is a forum for EVERYTHING nowadays! Good thing too, because it saves me all kinds of headaches in the long run.

I've had fish tanks since I was 7-8 years old and I've recently (past 2 years) graduated into reef keeping. It has been a very rewarding and interesting hobby (although a very expensive one) and I've enjoyed learning the ins and outs of all the millions of organisms that live in my system. Unfortunately I've maxed out my eco-system and I'm sure if I bring yet another tank in the house I'll be nothing short of castrated by the misses. I fully understand the ins and outs of the nitrogen cycle, temp differences, flow rates, and I love little DIY projects (and some large ones too). My wife loves working in the yard and I saw an opportunity to spnd some quality time with her while possibly gaining her interest in the other love of my life... Aquatics.

I purchased a new Maccourt 145g preformed liner to get me started (you have to love Craigslist). The lot that our home is on is in now way shape or form level, so I've set the liner above ground and supported the edges with sand bags. I have an entire closet full of all sorts of pumps, floss, carbon, sterilite tubs, etc. from all of my other aquatic ventures. So I should be able to put together a nice "nano-pond" with some potted vegetation surrounding it, and maybe a few comet's and possibly an eastern painted turtle (they are everywhere this year). My intentions are to get my feet wet with mixing aquatics and gardening this year (possibly grow out a few fish) and step up to a custom 2000-3000 build when we move this winter (building a home).

Okay so I want to be successful at this the first go around, hence why I'm reaching out to the vets from the start. I went rummaging around in my fish closet as the wife calls it and dug out a mag 7 pondmaster pump, a small powerhead, a big bag of bio balls, some filter floss, and an in tank filter that only runs about 300gph. My final intentions are to run a small water feature and a filter box of some sort off of the mag 7.

Any idea what size container would be an adequate bio enclosure for this volume?

All suggestions, comments, arguments, and info are welcome.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Alleykat,
Good to know that you know you stuff when it comes to aquariums and ponds. You are off on the right foot.

The description of your pond and the intentions threw up a red flag with the idea of putting a turtle in your small pond. When it comes to turtles in a small pond like yours, trust me it won't work if you are going to have a well planted and groomed pond. Not intentionally, but turtles can be quite destructive to the appearance and arrangement of you plants. If you intend on having small fish, they will be lunch. Turtles will also put a load on your filtration and upset any balance you might want in your pond. Turtles need either a extremely large pond or a small pond intended just for them.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
And that's why I've come to love the internet. Access to a wealth of information. I can ask these questions at the LFS and they'll tell me whatever they think I want to hear just to send me out the door with a bag of their goods in tow!

It was just a thought as far as the lil turtles go. I have a HUGE eastern painted that has taken up residence in my slip at the marina where I store my boat. He has quite the personality and I thought one might be nice, but I'd rather find out the easy way...

Just curious how large of a pond would it take to keep a turtle?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hi Alleykat,

My best guess would be a 100 gallons just to make easier to filtrate and minumize the ammonia levels. Just from experience, they poop like crazy, especially when fed well.

I agree with you about all of the forums on the internet. You can get information on almost anything, and learn from someone elses mistakes as well. This forum is one of the best for sound advice and regular activity at this forum. I have checked out quite a few, and I always gravitate back to this one.

Happy ponding,

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The best part of learning from others mistakes, if they are willing to admit them, is the cost and time savings.

Reaction score
So about the whole mech/bio filter. I've been doing some reading, and I've come across a bunch of threads that suggest exterior style filters for ease of maintenance etc. Currently just to get my bio or "cycle" underway I've got a mini laundry basket with a wad of batting sitting on top of about 2 gallons of bioballs being fed by an aquarium style hob and a maxi jet powerhead. I also picked up some densely populated bio media from my LFS (stuffs probably 3-4 years old from their comet tub. I've read all about the skippy filters, and I could put my own twist on one, but I was thinking... Has anyone made a filter out of those terra cotta type pots with the multiple openings at different heights?

Reaction score
Like these

master:BCP246.jpg

Ask a Question