DIY alternative to spillway bowl?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a shallow ledge in my pond that I built to set some sort of spillway bowl or stacked slate sphere on. That being said, I'm cheap and paying full price for the aquascape products wouldn't fit with the spirit of the rest of the pond. Does anyone have a good idea for an alternative DIY spillway bowl or sphere? Right now the leading candidate is a nice ceramic pot that I can grind a low area or two for the water to spill out of.

A second consideration I had for this is whether I should also make it a small DIY filter or just let it buck? I don't think I need the extra filtration, but it could make for a nice mini bog planter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You nailed it. Any pot or planter would work.

The original spillway bowl idea came from an accidental overflow of a patio pond - the water was flowing out of the spot that’s cut down for the electrical cord to be hidden and it looked cool so a new idea was born!

Ask a Question