DIY Filter and other questions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
See Picture. I just have a few questions.

What do I hook the bottom drain into?
What do I hook the in water skimmer into?
Will the water from the filter be strong enough to push it out the waterfall?

Attachments

• Pond.png
    Pond.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 310
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi there well. I would say firstly that your pump should be situated next to your filter. And two pipes should run out of it. 1 to the bottom drain and one to your skimmer. So how the water will flow is in two ways.
1) Bottom drain(BD)-pump-filter-waterfall.
2) skimmer-pump-waterfall-filter-waterfall.
Now if your filter is pressurized and if you have bought a pump that can turn over your pond at least once an hour with appropriate head pressure than no problem it can reach your waterfall. But if your filter is not pressurized than no, it will not reach the waterfall. You could add a prefilter before your main filter so your filter does not get to polluted and the water appears more polished. Consider even getting a UVC or an aerator to improve water clarity and quality.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am building my own filter out of a 55 gallon plastic drum with different size rocks and bio balls.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A gravity-fed filter such as you are building will not supply a waterfall unless the outflow of the filter is higher than the waterfall. Water will not flow up-hill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I completely agree with Meyer. What you could do maybe is hook up another pump to solely feed your waterfall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I see an approximate 2500 gallon pond here. I don't think the list of items you've chosen
are nearly adequate to accommodate that many gallons... I'm running a similar 2000 gallon pond with a bottom drain and what these pictures show. ( I just ran out and took them if it's a help ). This is just part of my system. There's also a full size Savio. I have overkill but great conditions. You said you'll be making a filter which is fine but the Bio Pressure Filter says 4000 gallons but it's misleading as the UV. Possibly you might want to re-think the list. If money is tight, possibly start off with a higher end bio and cut in other areas so you don't re-spend up the road. Just a suggestion and you'll have more coming...

Attachments

• IMG_5550.jpg
    IMG_5550.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5551.jpg
    IMG_5551.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 302

Ask a Question