• would recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • would not recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just curious to how many of this forums members have built their own DIY filters and how they're performing for you. this poll allows multiple choices so click all that pertain to your situation. if there is further elaboration you wish to convey...please post.
sorry addy...i forgot to add BOG to the list...

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I don't have alot to base my answers on, but with the short time we've had our pond I'm basing my votes on that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine's not listed. It's just a stainless steel tank that my DH made. It's a waterfall too so the tubing enters from the bottom into the tank but has no swirl bars or anything, just flows in and water swirls around and goes upwards into filter media and out to falls. Should have put in a shut off valve and a clean out too. Would have made it much easier to clean. Water looks good and tests fine but darn I hate heaving all that junk outta there to clean it all out!
So what would this type of filter be called?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok then thanks koiguy I put my votes in! It feels nice to be included,lol!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i used a trickle filter on my first pond, it was ok, but didnt give the mechanical filtering i like...then i made a 27 gallon tote filter fed by the trickle filter and water clarity greatly improved & i could even feed much heavier. then i redid the pond and built my koiguy "skippy style" ... i've never looked back!... no more U.V..no more green water, or excess floating particulates, no more foam from DOCs..except some during spawning! just crystal clear water and ideal water parameters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My skippy has been running now for about 2-3 weeks. Water cleared within 4 days of starting it up. Waiting to see what difference is makes when temps get warmer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well darn..................no bog lol, is ok koiguy, cause I did build a skippy type upflow to clean up the pea gravel dust. Only used it for around 3-4 days, water became clear (last summer) turned it off. Now the poor thing sits all alone waiting to be needed again. It worked great for the brief time I used it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
addy...i did want to include bogs in there ..by the time i realized that i didnt list it, the poll editing timed out!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol is ok koiguy. I am happy with what I have, think they work well. I have had a bog on all of my ponds. This is just the biggest one.

Reaction score
Mine is not any of the filters listed above. Mine is a sand and gravel filter similer to Kent Walace designed filters and it works awesome and is very easy to clean​

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mine's not listed. It's just a stainless steel tank that my DH made. It's a waterfall too so the tubing enters from the bottom into the tank but has no swirl bars or anything, just flows in and water swirls around and goes upwards into filter media and out to falls. Should have put in a shut off valve and a clean out too. Would have made it much easier to clean. Water looks good and tests fine but darn I hate heaving all that junk outta there to clean it all out!
So what would this type of filter be called?
A PITA filter!
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sad but it is true it is a PITA filter. Right now it is just empty of the media and only water flowing. Might just leave it that way and only filter w/ a fines filter using the batting and a net to scoop the junk off the bottom till I do something else,maybe a bog. Do partial water changes for now to keep the fish happy. I don't have many fish so they will be ok.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
See, Addy, j.w. agrees with me for once! Maybe now she'll stop trying to drown me or poison me with fried crickets!!!
John

Ask a Question