DIY Filter

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by AngelaM, Jul 30, 2018.

1. AngelaM

AngelaM

I am really considering building my own filtration system. I’m currently cleaning all of my filters every two days because there is so much gunk in my pond. I have yet to see crystal clear water all summer. Anyways my question is has anyone used anything besides a 55 gallon barrel for filtration? How do you camouflage it? I’m trying to keep my water garden as natural looking as possible and I don’t want a bright blue barrel next to my pond. I’d like something a little prettier.

AngelaM, Jul 30, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. AngelaM

Lisak1

Do you have anywhere you could hide it a distance away from the pond? Behind a shed or garage for example? Then you could run the lines to and from and bury them. Or build a screen to hide the barrel.

Your post begs the question - why so much gunk?

Lisak1, Jul 30, 2018
    Mmathis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. AngelaM

AngelaM

I think my current filter is VERY shotty! It’s a canister filter about 18” tall and it has 3 bags of carbonized with pea gravel. Other than that I have a mesh bag around my pump with a black matala pad in it. I also have a few matala pads in my waterfall box.

AngelaM, Jul 30, 2018
  4. AngelaM

AngelaM

And no I don’t have a shed near by. The pond is quite a ways from my house too. I thought of building a little decorative outhouse to hide it in but it’s more work than I’m looking forward to right now.

AngelaM, Jul 30, 2018
    Telion likes this.
  5. AngelaM

Lisak1

Well, maybe get the filter going and then work on the camoflague later.

Lisak1, Jul 30, 2018
    AngelaM likes this.
  6. AngelaM

Lisak1

Or what about just getting a better filter to replace what you currently have? When you say canister filter, do you mean a pressurized filter? Is it external?

Lisak1, Jul 30, 2018
    AngelaM likes this.
  7. AngelaM

GBBUDD

I am still a new ponder but I can tell you from my limited experiences. The bog is amazing. I did not have the patience to complete the entire project then fill it up with water. As soon as the pond was lined and the boulders were placed the pond was being filled. I have completely clouded up the pond more times than I can count. I couldn't see 6" into the pond. But to my amazement in the morning I could see the bottom of the pond and by the time I got home some 18 hours after I clouded up the pond the water was crystal clear. I turn over 12,000 gph with the pump but only 6 of that goes to one of two bogs today one bog is with a centipede and 6 feet of rock while the other bog is 2" pvc and a foot of stone. I'm sold and it's the awkward stage for the bog a year from now the bog should be able to handle anything that's thrown at it.

GBBUDD, Jul 30, 2018
    AngelaM and Telion like this.
  8. AngelaM

Telion

+1 on the bog setup. Space and looks while maintaining functionally, that my first concern as well. The answer was a bog filter, its an added element of beauty gives the opportunity to have plants that might not thrive in normal soil conditions and is a natural way to filter water. Since you mentioned 55 gal drum i thought i would mention that i use one for my skimmer which feeds my bog but i dug a space large enough to keep it underground and out of view. Under the walkout deck in the upper right hand pick is a 55gal drum skimmer (about 40 after i cut it down some) 20180722_152353.jpg

This is my bog filter 20180712_170123.jpg

Telion, Jul 30, 2018
    Tula likes this.
  9. AngelaM

sissy sissy

stock tank and adapter will work and you can hide it with plants .Who cares if it shows a little ,be proud you did it yourself .Mine is inside the liner so if it ever overflows it goes back into the pond 100_4043.JPG 100_4188.JPG

sissy, Jul 30, 2018
    AngelaM likes this.
  10. AngelaM

AngelaM

Yes it’s an external pressurized filter.

AngelaM, Jul 30, 2018
  11. AngelaM

AngelaM

That is a beautiful setup! How do you access the 55 gallon skimmer to clean it? Just move the bridge? Is there filter media in your skimmer? I’m just wondering why you needed a skimmer that big.

AngelaM, Jul 30, 2018
    Telion likes this.
  12. AngelaM

Jack B. Nimble

My vote absolutely to add a simple bog. It only takes a small liner some pea gravel all you need is 12 inches and a couple pipes under it. You will not regret it and no maintenance.

Jack B. Nimble, Jul 31, 2018
    GBBUDD, AngelaM and Telion like this.
  13. AngelaM

Telion

Thank you, yes the boards of the deck can removed to access the skimmer. Currently mine has blanket batting, a filter pad, and a catch bag for larger debris. The reason I made the skimmer that big is because the pond is both large (about 10,000 gallons) ans surrounded by trees. Inside the skimmer is a 2,500gph pond pump. You may not need something this big but it gives you ideas of options that can be hidden yet very effective. 20180613_211605.jpg 20180512_131325.jpg 20180614_060236.jpg

Telion, Jul 31, 2018
  14. AngelaM

AngelaM

How far is your bog area from your skimmer? I’m trying to comprehend how the skimmer feeds the bog area.

AngelaM, Jul 31, 2018
    Telion likes this.
  15. AngelaM

Jack B. Nimble

You can place a bog anywhere around your pond. In my case I had a area that looked bland so I took a piece of liner I had which was 10x10. Made a 12 inch hole in ground about 3 x 6 feet laid in liner and put in 3 rows pipe with slits cut in about every 3 inches in the rigid pipe apart and run hose into one end that divided into the 3 channels. Covered in smallest pea gravel I could find and layers the liner over the edge of pond so it drains into the pond and that's it. If you run that skimmer you can have the pipe from it go to a waterfall and just before the waterfall anywhere in that line put in a T connector to a separate line to the bog. Not perfect but will work fine. I'd you want to get more specific water flow to either the bog or more to waterfall just put in a adjustable valve the will fit into your hose and that you can reach and hide under something. This would allow you to send more water to falls or Visa versa.

Jack B. Nimble, Jul 31, 2018
    Tula, AngelaM and addy1 like this.
  16. AngelaM

GBBUDD

The skimmer is a great way to get your water to the bog it will catch the heavy debris before it goes to the bog thus preventing or at least seriously delaying the bog clogging up down the road. The out feed from the skimmer is pumped to some 2" pvc pipe that has slots or holes drilled into the pipe. The pipe is then placed at the bottom of a 12" to 18" deep depression where you simply then add 3/8" pea stone is what is recommended. Over and around the pvc pipe and then plant the surface area with bog plants. yes there's a little more too it but that's the gist of it.

GBBUDD, Jul 31, 2018
    AngelaM and addy1 like this.
  17. AngelaM

Telion

It feeds the bog through a 2" hose that runs from the skimmer to the bog about 20 ft away. This pic is likely the best reference. I am standing on the walk out deck and the bog is in the top right corner. But really you can put the bog anywhere, this was an after thought. I did want and do have the skimmer at the opposite end of the waterfall so the water flows toward the skimmer. 20180729_193404.jpg

Telion, Jul 31, 2018
  18. AngelaM

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I filter only with a bog, my skimmer T's into the line that draws water from the pond. I have a leaf basket before the pump and a leaf basket in the skimmer.

Both catch any large debris before it hits the bog. It has been running since 2010 without any maintenance except yanking over growing plants.

Like said above, when I yank plants I smoke up the pond. You can see nothing when I am done. The next day back to crystal clear. No green water, no string algae in the big ponds.

addy1, Jul 31, 2018
    Mmathis, Tula and AngelaM like this.
  19. AngelaM

AngelaM

So did you bury the pipe that runs from the skimmer to the bog area? My only concern with the bog is we do have cold winters here and my pond is mostly shaded. Having a heck of a time getting plants to spread in my pond. I am researching that a bog should be 1/3 the size of your pond. I’d hate to go through all the work of putting a huge bog area in if I can’t get the plants to grow in it.

AngelaM, Jul 31, 2018
    Telion likes this.
  20. AngelaM

GBBUDD

I'll let addy attest to the pipe as I have not weathered a winter as yet but my pipe is exposed at the bog at this point but I plan to burry it with the fit and finish. but if I don't get to it by winter hay bales and or heat tape " electrical cable wraped around the pipe that heats up. will be installed on the small amount of pipe .

GBBUDD, Jul 31, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question