DIY floating planters

Reaction score
I decided to build my own floating planters for acquatic "bog" plants like papyrus and others.
I saw some planters at the gardening store but they were a bit small. After many hours of contemplation on how i would keep the planters afloat without drilling hole for hooks in the pond flagstone I decided to make planter with regular rectangle pot surrounded by PVC pipe (see photo). The trick will be to have enough trapped air in the pipe to keep the planter floating. I may need to add some short but wider PVC "pills" to increase buoyancy.

Once i arrive at the right level (see rocks in planter) I will wrap the whole thing in weed block fabric and fill with soil.

I think the pipes are water tight without gluing them together. If I have to I don't think that would harm the fish if the glue is dry. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Stev

Attachments

• planter.jpg
    planter.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,064

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That should work. If it's not bouyant enough you could add the black foam pipe wrap around the pvc. Comes in 5 foot sections at most hardware stores.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat idea! The foam wrap might do a good job at making it float just right.

Ask a Question