diy fountain using a full size old hand water pump and whiskey barrel

Reaction score
I have an antique full size water hand pump that I would like to make a fountain out of. What I have so far:

hand pump
whiskey barrel
6 inch liner for barrel

The general idea would be that the hand pump would look like it would be flowing into the barrel. I would like to make it look like a pondless effect with small stones in the barrel. I am also considering a solar pump. I have an idea of what I would like it to look like, but no idea of how to actually make it work. Any ideas? Thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey tmrm, they like you to post in the introduction thread and tell a bit about yourself etc. before you start posting in other threads so we can get to know ya a bit :lol:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah they want you to do the intro, might make you want to stick around rather than a fly by poster. lol Gives us an idea of who you are.

But welcome anyways and that sounds like a neat idea.

small pump, pumps water up into hand pump flows into barrel, then back into pump, nice little circle of water.

Reaction score
Went and did a quick intro. I have a couple of projects in mind, so I expect I'll be around for a while.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great glad you complied! lol and we love to pretend we know it all to help you out!

Reaction score
Welcome. And I've seen a few of these done. They look great.

You would have to start with a mounting base to hold the hand pump. Then plumb some fittings to reduce it to the size of the pump. Next you would add a small container with holes over the pump to keep the weight of the rocks off of it. Add the pump and hose. Fill it with rocks and your done.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! Any idea what size pump we should use? Has anyone had experience with using a solar pump? Thanks!

Reaction score
I have never done anything even remotely close to this, so I'm trying to figure out how to turn the vision of what I want the fountain to do, into reality. My thought is about 160 gph, not sure if I'm right on that. Fill the 6 inch (planter) liner with small stones (not sure if this will make it too heavy). Make a hole in the liner, seal in tube, tube goes down through the bottom of barrel, and up through the hand pump. A nice circle. Trying to figure out the pump though, where to position, etc. Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Solar pumps don't last the batteries drain out with lack of sun .I had 1 and it got ditched to the basement in it's box .I replaced the batteries with better rechargeable but was still no good .Oh and welcome .I did something similar with one of those old fashioned sinks and there are pics of that kind of stuff on the internet just type in well pump decrotive water feature

Reaction score
Kenneth, so put the pump in with the rocks and use a small plastic basket to put over it? Then I would tube down through the rest of the barrel and up through the hand pump. Thanks!

Reaction score
Yup. You do that to keep the pump safe. You can look up how a pondless waterfall works and its the same idea. They use what they call a "vault" to house the pump. Then cover it with a small layer of stones to hide it.

Pump size sounds ok. But check out how tall it is to reach the top of the hand pump. Maybe 2 feet from barrel to the top? Then check the pump. A lot of the lower gph pumps drop quickly after a foot. Remember you can always restrict the flow but never increase it so it wont hurt to go a little bigger if needed.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a diy pondless feature is an easy project....dig your hole (bigger is better, but 3 or 4' round, and a couple feet deep,should suffice) ..line it . your pump goes in at the bottom. snatch a few milk crates, and put them in, upside down to cage and create the water resevour area. run your plumbing up thru the crates,cover them with landscape fabric. and then cover and fill in the rest of the area with a variety of stones and peagravel. the milk crates create a hidden "sump' area for a larger water capacity and pump protection. the landscape fabric filters the water as it returns and keeps the pump from getting clogged. the stones and gravel are what show and give the more natural look. stick some plants in the mix...done!
i would go with a minimum of a 500 gph pump myself ...unless you just want a trickle.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!

How about some ideas for the power cord? What is the best placement for it. Don't really want it to show.

Ask a Question