DIY- Indoor Koi Tank

Reaction score
This is a (2010) follow up to the tank I built last year. I hope this video might give you some ideas or some help to those that might be considering, or are in the process of building such a tank.

Please look at last years video for construction notes.

Thanks,

Mark

[ame]

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice job, my poor lil fish get to stay out all winter

Reaction score
Trash cans and Tubberware as tanks could last a long time, or they could split wide open tomorrow. I've had a couple split. For the same price you can buy used plastic 55 (or less) drums made to hold water. Just depends on how lucky you feel.

Reaction score
Yep, if I had room or needed larger capacity I'd use a 55 gallon drum. Do not buy cheep garbage cans, years ago on my first outdoor pond I had some really cheap ones buldge out and saw stress marks on them, The indoor tank uses good quality rubbermaid cans and don't bulge out.

Reaction score
If it's room that you're worried about, most car washes use 30 gallon barrels now for soaps. Most of the time you can get them for free. They are a little smaller than the 55s.

Reaction score
The first two years I filled the tank with fresh water added 1/4 tank (or so) of outside water several weeks prior to bringing in koi, but then had to wait for water temp to equalize when I brought in koi.
So for 2011, I pumped in water (water temp 38) from the pond thru the basement window into a empty tank, netted my koi (4 @ 15.5"-16") hauled in some media from the bio filter, dropped in a airstone, covered up the top of tank so it will warm up slowly and was done fairly quickly. I'll wait a couple days for the water to warm up before I run pump thru filter & bio filter.
About the only differance this year is I built a slightly larger bio filter 'cause I accidently busted the old one. I might go larger pump this year, will see. I used low protein food last year for the first time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here the if you go to the city dept. of roads and parks you can get them for 5 dollars as they have tons of them .They use them for garbage cans and get them from the beer plant in NC as they get yeast in them and barley and hops .They get over stocked with them and you can even go there and pick them up also for free .I have gotten 5 of them for rain barrels to water my gardens .You can pick your color .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
husker...i always fill my basement pond from my outdoor pond...theyre already used to the temo and chemistry...this really reduces the stress of the move. as its pumped, it goes thru the basement pond filter before the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koiguy I see you have a new avatar..............looks like a M.J. leaf to me or are you gonna say it's that certain Hibiscus that looks just like one to throw us off.It looks real happy anyways,lol!

Reaction score
husker...i always fill my basement pond from my outdoor pond...theyre already used to the temo and chemistry...this really reduces the stress of the move. as its pumped, it goes thru the basement pond filter before the pond.

ok, ok, I'm a little slow! I'm not really sure why I didn't do that the first two years? It's really a "no brainer", I think maybe I wanted cleaner water and with the koi smaller then it wasn't a issue waiting for containers to warm up prior to transfer, that and have it up and running.

p.s. Koiguy, nice avatar!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
look at any of my videos or pics of my basement pond...water just doesnt get clearer than that!.....of course mine come in when the water temp is in the 50s.

Ask a Question