Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im new to this forum also
so cead mile failte
100 thousands welcomes
does it have to be foam or are you just looking for some media
have you tried this
I will put a picture on tomorrow. I’m using a barrel the size of a water butt.inlet and outlet are at the top . The inlet goes to the bottom,so that the water rises up through the media, but I’m unsure what to us .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I will put a picture on tomorrow. I’m using a barrel the size of a water butt.inlet and outlet are at the top . The inlet goes to the bottom,so that the water rises up through the media, but I’m unsure what to us .

I heard people use the large pads that go on commercial floor scrubbers in place of Malala pads. They fit the barrels perfect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I purchased the little kitchen scrubbies from Dollar Tree. Work great!

Be careful if you use kitchen scrubbier that you don't buy ones that are treated with any kind of antimicrobial substance. Same with kitchen sponges - it's the big thing lately. Everyone fears the germs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have used lava rock for years and still use it .I also use those reusable furnace filters in crates on top of my lava rock filters

Reaction score
In the long run, the Matala pads are probably the cheapest because they seem to last forever. if you get them only get the finest ones they make. The others don't seem to trap anything.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Be careful if you use kitchen scrubbier that you don't buy ones that are treated with any kind of antimicrobial substance. Same with kitchen sponges - it's the big thing lately. Everyone fears the germs.
I have had the scrubbers in my DIY filter for 7 years. I purchased lingerie washing bags (also purchased from dollar tree) and fill with scrubbers. We have a 100 gal rubber water trough. Asked local bread man for trays. Lava rock in same bags, then topped with scrubber bags. Has worked wonderful!

Reaction score
have you looked into setting it up as a sand and gravel filter? much easier to clean without getting all mucky and it's done in a matter of minutes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lava rocks in mesh bags seem the best, from what I’ve gathered. Then the filter pads cut to size to catch fine gunk.

Ask a Question