Diy or store skimmer help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need some advice.
My pond has been running for about a month now and I just recently added goldfish. I do have a bog and everything seems to be going fine.

One thing I was unable to do was install a skimmer. This is due to the fact that underneath the pond is all cemented rock. I've seen the tetra in pond skimmer but that uses tubing to feed the pump. But the pump I'm using is this and is unable to be fed via tubing:

AEO 12V-18V DC Brushless Submersible Water Pump 898 GPH for Solar Fountain Koi Pond and Waterfall (1 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KC3UAN6/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_GwirEbMRDSDJS

The pump right now sits at the bottom of the pond in a mesh bag. There's is little to no debris on the bottom so it hasn't been a problem but the surface does seem to get smaller things from the wind.

I guess my question is what can I buy/make to put a skimmer in my pond given the situation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can add or make your own skimmer / if you have epdm lined pond you can add any skimmer to your pond they will all work unless it's for concrete instalation. The option i would look into is a negative edge or an intake bay . the intake bay can have the fish swim right in and out and not have a worry with them getting stuck or killed

Reaction score
Country
United States
@GBBUDD
So under the liner is rock hard. No possibility to dig out and make space for a skimmer.

I should also mention that the pump is run by a 100 watt panel. I'm too far from any electrical

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thought about it realized the skimmer didn't have to float. Could I do something like this?
20200212_210908.png

Put the pump into a bucket. Cut a slot near the top of the bucket and put a screen/net above the pump to catch debris. Then just position the bucket in the pond and have the water level at the opening of the bucket?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sure why not, make sure the opening is big enough to allow enough water in to handle the pump outflow. Get some Matala pads to put above the pump, in the bucket, another bit of filtering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I bet there are some youtube videos about adding a skimmer or intake bay to a pond after the fact. Depending on how the concrete is applied, it might be easier than you think, since a skimmer is installed kind of outside the pond itself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's the problem. There is no way to move the concrete/rocks unless I get a sledgehammer.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Only issue with you bucket idea is when the filter mats and debris net get clogged it will cause the pump to lower the water level in the bucket until it will try to float.

You could drill holes in the bottom of the bucket and try bolting it to a cinderblock to prevent it from tipping over, or try putting it in a corner and adding rock around it and a heavy rock lid on top to hide it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't use a skimmer. I've had too many problems with the one I had, so I just gave up on it. Granted, it was one of the cheaper ones.

I like floating plants and they would get sucked up into the skimmer. Sometimes I would find fish stuck in the skimmer. Small particles would get past the pads and jamb up the pump.

So, what I do is just have my pool net handy and if there's anything floating, I just net it out.

I'm out there a couple times a day feeding the fish anyway, so it's not so bad to occasionally scoop out any debris. I have two nets, one for my pool and one for the pond. I use the same telescoping pole for both. The nets are the bag type with tiny holes, not the flat skimmer type.

And just as a note, I have a lot of trees.

In the fall I have a PVC pipe frame that I put together with a net attached to keep out the leaves.

A couple times a year I will run the net slowly along the bottom to catch any debris such as acorns, leaves, twigs and accumulated muck. I go very slow as not to stir it up too much or catch any lingering fish.

If you're still leaning toward having a skimmer, they also sell the floating type. It doesn't attach anywhere, it just floats. If I recall correctly, someone on this forum made their own floating type.

Reaction score
Country
United States
put the skimmer inside the liner, with pipe running from the skimmer inside the liner to the waterfall or fountain, no cut in liner, no seal, will still work, you will have to anchor it, and pond will have to be deep enough. Or get a floating skimmer. They do come with a base and can be adjusted for height

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put in a pool skimmer when I built mine, usually have it on real low draw. The big maple that used to trash the pond died, so no more flowers, seed pods, leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a few things for my diy skimmer.
This will fit in the bucket over the pump.
And over the grate will be some filter pads to catch leaves etc.
The depth of the pond is about 2.5 feet. The bucket height is 17 inches. What is something fish safe and relatively flat I could put under the bucket to make it closer to the surface?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your placing that bucket in your pond? you can use anything like rocks, bricks, clay tile, ceramic tile ,most plastics

Ask a Question