I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello All
I have a prob I hope for some advice,

I did a DYI prefilter skimmer out of two planter pots (Did not take pics)
It is a simple thing one pot has the hoses hooked up to it the other slides in with the river rock and filter.
It is working well.
the problem I am haveing is every couple 3 days it floats up and then no water gets in.
It is wieghed down with the river rock in it but still raises up after a 2 or 3 days.

What I think is happening is air fron the water getting trapped in it and it can not escape back up there the filter pads.
then the air cuasing the floating.

Anyone have a idea how I could do something to allow the air to escape ?

Later to day I will take it out and take a few pics maybe that will help.

Thanks
Ruben

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can you a, drill small holes where the air collects? b, stick in a small tube to the area the air is in so the air goes out?

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

Addy1 Wrote:
drill small holes where the air collects? b, stick in a small tube to the area the air is in so the air goes out?

Yes that is what I am thinking but I dont know where exactly the air is collecting,

I think it is collecting between the to pot stages but it could be collecting between the bioball/river rock stage and the filter media stage.

So now it is trial and error.

This is the container it fits in to another container that the hoses and pumps to the filters are hooked up to.
Contaianer.JPG

What I did to day is
cut out the whole bottom/ Where you see the foru big holes I cut that all out now
I think that is where the air was collecting.
Old bottom.JPG

I redid the basket (Plant basket) I took and put liner around the edge to stop the by bipass of gung and going in to the lines and pumps.
Bioball holder.JPG

Bio ball holder installed Here I put a layer of river rock and some 2" bioballs. Just below this is where I think the air is/was getting trapped (cuaseing the floating prop
But cutting out that bigger opening I hope that will elimenate the trapped air.
Stage 3.JPG

Filter pad holder Found this stuff today at a local pet store. A little flimsy but should do the job
Filter holder.JPG

Stage 2 Filter pad
Stage 2.JPG

Stage 3 Filter pad plus a drilled piece of plexyglass
Stage 1.JPG

I also notched out the top to allow the water to run in and also be able to lay a flat rock on it to help hide it.

It is back in and running lets see if this fixed the prob or need to come up with a diffrent plan.

Ruben

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nice work, let us know if that helps. Neat diy skimmer btw!

Ask a Question