DIY pond coming along nicely.....planting now there's a question!

Reaction score
Hello,

My pond is 9ft long, 6ft wide and 4 foot deep in a teardrop shape. (see my profile picture)

--- --- ---- ---
= = = =
= = = =
== == ======= ===
= = = =
= = = =
======== ===========

My pond construction is going well, i have :-
- emptied an existing pond that was backfilled,
- added a new liner,
- filled with many many many waterbuts of water and some tap water
- added 1 lily, another plant that looks like chives and some curly leaf oxygenators
- added 4 little (2") goldfish and 3 slightly bigger (4-5") goldfish

there is a sharp drop from the edge of the pond, that plateaus at the narrow end 18" from the top and then runs down another 2 and a bit feet to the bottom of the pond.

How can I build platforms within the pond to house plants? Currently the ledges on the sides aren’t really big enough to hold plants on.

Also a suggestion about plants that can compliment the below filter strategy, both in the pond and on the "filter arrangement" would help.

Filter strategy - I will be building a natural filter that is made of 3 waterfall plateaus with plants, stones, shingle and sand that clean the water as it makes its way from the pump to the pond.

Lets home this makes sense to you guys and girls..............

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Different grasses, sedges, rush do a great job of filtering. Iris do well, day lilies, tons of plants do well. What sort of look are you wanting? I have blue water forgetmenot in my bog, it blooms all summer grows great and helps filter.

Some people have made plants stands with pvc, some have just put blocks in the pond to put the plants on, some have made hangers to hang the plant off the side of the pond.

I have made a few floating plant rings, that might be your best best. There are some threads on making floating plant rings, islands in the diy section. Mine are made out of pvc.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can use plastic crates and cut one end out and it gives your fish a place to hide and set the plant on top of the crate .Great if you have any kind of predators

Reaction score
the plan is a foot,

Waterfall
i have located some materials to build a natural, self filtering 3 tier waterfall.

Over the next couple of weeks i will be building a 3 tier waterfall with reeds on the top, cat tails on the middle and something pretty(undecided) on the bottom.

Around the back I am going to have a rear sealed resovoir with uv light for the green monster.

Deep ppond plants
I will be popping milk crates in the pond to gradually lower my lillies and get them to the bottom / self sustained.( i have heard that they have flourished 4.5 feet down!!)

Floating plant rings
I am collatig the materials to get these into place and have an elaborate idea to secure bigger plants to the pond shelves that will fit in with the floating rings.

Wish me luck, photo's coming soon...................

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good luck and sounds like you did your research and that you are having to much fun . :cheerful: Can't wait to see new pics

Ask a Question