DIY Pond filter water from top or bottom

Daz

Reaction score
Hi chaps

I'm thinking of making my own filter system....But before i do i have some questions i'm not sure about so hope you guys can help me out.

I've seen plenty of videos on the internet regarding filters but not sure what the most effective way is..

Should the water enter from the top of the filter or the bottom ?

On my system which is a Jebao UBF 9000 Litre Black Box Biological Koi Fish Pond Filter 11w UV Filtration
the water enters through the uv on the top then directly spills onto the top mesh pad and finally goes over the bio balls at the botton before coming out of the tube attached to the side.

On the other type the incoming water comes straight into the top connected to a tube which goes all the way to the bottom then debris gets stuck in a basket before the water level rises through finer media

question is which is better ?
also where should the benificial bacteria be in the system ?

Thanks guys hope you understand my terrible explanation lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I go top to bottom this way I can put a crate on top with activated charcoal and crushed oyster shells in it .Not a normal way but it works for me

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Either way will work, however, if not cleaned when needed a top down gravity filter may overflow causing major water loss. This can't happen in an upflow filter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've seen it done both ways. Mine is an up-flow [Skippy], so water enters from bottom and flows out the top. One advantage of the down-flow system [from what I've read] is that it's easier to clean the media.

The beneficial bacteria will be everywhere there is surface area inside the filter and where there is water flow.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I took extra precautions for everything I could think of .Stock tank filter is in side a liner with block to hold the liner up and all the water that overflows can only go back into the pond and even all of my hoses are inside pond area and inside liner .I have never had my down flow over flow yet .I use a small dirty water pump in the bottom of the stock tank to clean it .Just plug the pump in and lead the hose to where I want the water to go while i am putting new water in .

Daz

Reaction score
Thanks for all your thoughts guys i'm building a good picture now

could you tell me if this setup would work i currently have a box filter above water level but surely this set up would also work and i would be able to put more media in it and have maybe 2 outlet pipes ?
new_zpsoftte6r6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 470

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for all your thoughts guys i'm building a good picture now

could you tell me if this setup would work i currently have a box filter above water level but surely this set up would also work and i would be able to put more media in it and have maybe 2 outlet pipes ?
new_zpsoftte6r6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No reason why it would not work. Just remember.....the outflow should be at least twice a big as the intake.

Daz

Reaction score
Hi guys what a find check this out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221771749973?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've cleaned the filter and have the uv running..... its a beast compared to the filter i had previous

Only problem is the pump wouldn't work but i give it a clean and it worked great then all of a sudden it stopped...when i looked closer the pump impeller is spinning but seems slow could this be the impeller faulty or pump ?

strange to think i got it running

Daz

Reaction score
I'm not really sure if I'm honest i did remove the impeller and to my surprise it wasn't magnetic so may be direct drive

Daz

Reaction score
How does the mag drive work ? compared to magnetic why would it spin at reduced speed ?

Daz

Reaction score
Its identical to this pump in the link

http://www.allpondpumps.com/pond/Pond-pumps/water-pump-FTP-6500.html

I also have a simmilar pump but its 10000LPH i removed the impeller and it stuck to all metal objects unlite the ftp pump so thats why i think the pump is direct drive

Just not sure how to be certain its the impeller thats naff.... There is 2 in the box that came with the pump albeit a little worse for wear but i cant see any damage anywhere for a certain yes its broken

Ask a Question