DIY pond vac ??

Reaction score
Anyone here build your own pond vacuum? Is it really worth the time and effort to build one over buying one?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Not to steel anyones thunder. Another ponder used a 55 gallon plastic barrel on it's side, and used the two bung holes at the top end and by using adapters attached the vacuum hose to the bung hole closest to the ground. Then also using adapters attached a standard shop vac to the bung hole at the top. From the picture I saw, it looked to be quite functional. If I had a bigger pond than I do now, I would build one for my own use.

The picture is at another forum, but I don't want to step on anyones toes by mentioning that site. I'm hoping that the person that took the pictures of the DIY pond vac will post that picture here for you to see. It is really quite clever.

Happy ponding,

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hey koigoy, that's the one I was refering to. Good find.

If the 55 gallon barrel was put on wheels it could be used to water the flower beds.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
I stumbled across that vac on another forum and built one the other day after a trip to the hardware store for fittings and a sump pump hose. I used a smaller 30 gallon plastic barrel I had and a 5 foot piece of 1" id pvc pipe on the end of the hose to use as a handle. Two things I learned, the wood braces are definitely required, and you need a big vacuum to hook up to this. My 3.5 hp Rigid vac couldn't move enough water to satisfy me. But it does work! I may try to use a smaller id hose and pvc to see if that helps.

This is the link to the one I found,
http://www.members.shaw.ca/floydn/

Ask a Question