DIY Pond with Solar System (Lots of Photo)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Guys,
I started my DIY Koi pond with aquaponics system few months ago. The whole system run by 3 DCpump water pump connected to the solar system without DC to AC inverter. I hope I can share some info here for people show want to do the similar thing.

3 x DC Pump http://amzn.to/29w1b7U
2 x Solar Panel http://amzn.to/29JILPX
Solar Controller http://amzn.to/29DLgG7

Please feel free to comment and provide suggestion.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4013.JPG
    IMG_4013.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_4312.JPG
    IMG_4312.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_4431.JPG
    IMG_4431.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_4216.JPG
    IMG_4216.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_4654.JPG
    IMG_4654.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_4842.JPG
    IMG_4842.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4840.JPG
    IMG_4840.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 371
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
great job!

I want to see the plumbing!

I thought about planting vegetable in my pond but I dont really have a good space for it. I plan to do it next year though..

Reaction score
Country
United States
the plumbing is a mess, I am not a professional for that. But I do it by myself anyway and hide them behind a bamboo cover.. :)

my pond has very limited space for me to work with as well .. limited space for the filter. I have two trash can as a filters, one need to put it up to a higher ground, and the one in the photo is the for bio, near to the pond, filled with lava rock and bio media. All the pipes on the higher level are for the input, goes in to the middle of the trash can. when water goes in, will have to go through a 6 inch pvc in the middle, then to bottom. when the trash can filled up with water, it come out from the pipe at the lower level

The black PVC is for overflow for protection, incase one the pipe get stuck, water goes thought that and bypass all the filter.

Not sure if you know what I mean. If I have time, I can draw it for you.

Attachments

• IMG_5004.JPG
    IMG_5004.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 307
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice setup, and thank you for the links to your hardware. Do you have an example of the battery you are using?

Also, I did not see in the pictures where you located the controller and battery, are they sheltered from the weather somewhere?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The battery I have is a used battery from an old car, rated 125Ah

Yes, the battery and the controller is hide under a patio around 10 feet away and surrounded with few concrete bricks from homedepot. The pump come with very long cable which allow me to do so without extension. I will get a picture if I have a chance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond is around 500 Gallon
Filter is around 100 Gallon
Aquaponics system is around 100 Gallon total, I have two levels setup now.
5 Koi around 4 inches each

I know is overstock now. But I am planning to expend more with the Aquaponics system to remove the "shit" from the water. LOL

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pond is around 500 Gallon
Filter is around 100 Gallon
Aquaponics system is around 100 Gallon total, I have two levels setup now.
5 Koi around 4 inches each

I know is overstock now. But I am planning to expend more with the Aquaponics system to remove the "shit" from the water. LOL
Yes, koi really do need super filtration due to the amount of waste they produce.

I'm not sure if anyone on here is doing aquaponics, other than small scale. But I've recently been researching a type of mechanical filter and it seems that almost all the information that's available for it is from aquaponics sites. It's a fairly simple, do-it-yourself (DIY) filter, but I can't remember what it's called. I'll look it up, then you can search the web for designs, applications, and lots of available videos. It probably shouldn't be your ONLY source of mechanical filtration for koi, but it might be a good start. I'm planning to make one for my goldfish/garden pond (but not soon).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@jackyyuen It's called a RADIAL FLOW FILTER. Do a Google search to get you started. Watch some of the videos. There are many different ways to make it, as you'll see, but the general concept is the same.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@jackyyuen It's called a RADIAL FLOW FILTER. Do a Google search to get you started. Watch some of the videos. There are many different ways to make it, as you'll see, but the general concept is the same.

Interesting filter setup. I wish I know that 1 year ago. My filters are DIY with two big trash cans' with tons of lava rocks and bio media only. I may setup the Radial Flow to replace one of them. Need a plan.

Thanks.

Ask a Question