DIY rocks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am not sure I'd put them in my pond as concrete can leach into the water and raise ph. But around the outside they would work great.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have never seen an artificial rock look like anything other than what is was....an artificial rock. Considering time and material involved it makes more sense to use real rock.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know one of our ponders on here made rocks that were L shaped and went over the edge and they looked great .I still have the info in my files some where ;) .They looked so real it fooled a lot of people and you can seal them .I think he said you could

Reaction score
Concrete leaching and pH change is not a real big issue with these types of things. The DIY aquarium people make fake rock backgrounds all the time using thinned out mortar or concrete mix and only noticed any change in pH within the first 24-48 hrs, if it happens. Once the concrete dries and sets, the lime in it become inert and really not an issue.
If any worries, soak the new piece in water for 24-48 hours with frequent water changes/washes.
I've used concrete pieces in my fish tanks/ponds for years and never had any issues, probably cause my well water starts at a pH of 8.0 :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have made some rocks from hypertufa. They are much lighter than real rocks, and are very strong. In fact, rather than buying a fake rock skimmer cover I made a hypertufa rock to cover it. It's relatively strong, holds my weight, and looks pretty good. I still haven't perfected the technique, but each time I make one I get better at it. Here's a video tutorial, if you're interested. Good luck!

Ask a Question