DIY simple venturi "T" style

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
first off ..my voice isn't quite right...I've been ill, sorry. i'm not a great narrator anyways.
for those of you who want to build a simple venturi to aerate your filter or use right in the pond on a pump used for circulation. this is the easiest and cheapest design i could come up with.
[ame]
note the scotch tape wrapped around the pen tube because i lost the peice of tubing i would ordinarily use.
now if your plumbing in your filter is bigger than your hose. you can put a cap on the larger diameter pipe of your filter, and drill a hole to accept the output of the venturi. those who say they get air bubbling up threw their media because of the street "T" connection on their down pipe will be suprised at what an actual venturi will do.
heres a little demo...
[ame]
...once you get the venturi completed and the air tube glued in...you can cut the extra pen (tube) off. leave a 1/2" or so. if this is used underwater you can slide a rubber hose on the air tube that reaches above water, or even connect an air pump.
i do hope this tutorial helps those who want to encorporate a venturi into their system.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Oh....1" pipe will accept 1&1/4 hose. 1/2" pipe will accept 3/4" hose...etc... whatever size hose you use, go 1 size smaller on your venturi pipe.

Reaction score
I think you would get much better performance from it if you put the draw tube on the t part. you ant the water to flow smoothly and getting rid of that 90 would really help out.
an even simpler way is just to drill a hole in your line slightly smaller then your tube. cut the tube end at a 45 angle and insert it in the hole with the angle facing with the flow.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dont critique...build one and post its build, and a demo of its performance, right on this thread....ive built them the way you describe, i like this one better myself for its intended purpose...this is meant for going on the down pipe of a DIY upflow filter.nobody wants their hose sticking way up above the filter .

Reaction score
I did the same thing but a wide open end on my little filter. I got big bubbles going down but the water flow was low. do you get a lot of bubbles at the bottom or big ones?

I could not hear your video so I was not sure what you were using it for.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Great DIY video! great to see little ideas like these. Cheap yet very beneficial to the whole system!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah...i thought it mught help some folks out. theres been plenty of talk on here about venturis...i think it may be worthy of a sticky.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
When you get into the larger diameter pipes, you find some interesting pieces that also give the same effect. I used this Y-pipe to give easy access if I needed to get into the pipe, but because of its shape, the water is basically rammed straight down to the swirlers. So, despite the water pressure, I don't really need to screw the cap on while the pumps are running. Not only can I directly monitor the water being pumped into the filter, but leaving the cap off also prevent backflow due to siphoning... and as an unexpected bonus, it sucks air down the pipe with the water flow so I see bubbles coming up all through the filter media.

I think these pieces are available down to 1.5", so if you're pushing a lot of water, it may be another option for aerating your filter.
IMG_5548.JPG

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah..look at my filter build threads....i use a street tee as well.for the very reason of breaking the syphon should water stop flowing to the filter and backwashing back in the pond. in fact i gave most people here the idea, i beleive....the air you get now from your setup is a plus. i always got it as well..this is better and still breaks the syphon. if someone were to make one and didnt like it. what are they out?... $1.50!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Ah that's cool that you use them too. It is a convenient piece for that location in the pipe, so its great that we get so many bonuses out of it. And yeah, if it doesn't work out for someone, just screw in the cap and they still have the access point if needed.

Reaction score
Darn it, koiguy, I seem to be out $1.50! I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I have 3/4 " pipe and used a bic pen. I pulled the t out of the filter so I could see what I'm doing. I don't see anything happening. The water seems to be coming through the same with and without the pen tube. How precisely does the tube have to be in the center? Mine's kind of wobbly, but I don't get any change by adjusting the position. Any suggestions?

Ask a Question