DIY SKIMMER - ANY INPUT is appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

I had some intermittent work time on my new pond/bog filter this winter but spent more time on stuff I could do inside.
Lots of preliminary stone/wall work done outside. Bog manifold is done, etc. Now I'm working on the DIY skimmer which is a modified Oz Ponds design. (Rectangular box instead of round bucket to accommodate pump). On Kev's design he uses a flap of liner as a weir held in place by some rocks in the pond.
I am considering using an integrated weir "door" (JUST the door, not the entire skimmer) since I have a flat surface on the side of the box for mounting.
My thought is that this might be more "fixed" in position than the flap, so more consistent in height in the water.
Any input or ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have some very experienced people on this site and perhaps some of them can help. I am a visually oriented and struggling with your issue. Could you post some images? I may not be able to help but an image will at least let me know. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The reason the flap is not fixed is because any pond with a skimmer more that likely will also have an evaporation issue. You will need to have an automatic water replenish set up. Without one If your skimmer door is STATIONARY the water will be pulled out of the box when the water drops. Thus the door that is hinged allowing for the water to fluctuate. A better solution to the skimmer is a intake bay . though the skimmer can help mechanically with a net and floss or mat. The MAT CAN BE INCORPORATED IN THE INTAKE BUT WILL REQUIRE MORE WORK TO PULL THEM OUT.
ANOTHER OPTION IS THE NEGATIVE EDGE. damn caps.
What ever your planning to use needs to have a smooth side so you can seal to it. stainless band with a bead of silicone rubber then an other silicone with stainless steel bolts i might even go with a second stainless band to give you a good squeeze but not so much you force out all the silicone. or pl s30

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My skimmer was a pool skimmer. I removed the flap. Water can flow out, but it usually doesn't, the pump pulling water out solved it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
No but my tiny pumps don’t overwhelm things. The fish swim in and out of the skimmer, it’s funny.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i use a 500 in my cistern it is strong enough to trap a butterfly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your help gentlemen.
I think I'll try the OzPonds method with the flap of liner first and see how that works out.

Ask a Question