DIY Skimmer Catch Net

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The skimmer I purchased might have worked for an ordinary pond. But THIS IS NO ORDINARY POND. It is infested with snails. Snails snails snails.

The adults are as big around as a quarter, and they like to roll onto their backs and slurp at the water surface, cruisin' around. Naturally, my skimmer picks them up by the handfuls. Seriously, I am pulling handfuls of snails out of the skimmer basket, just swirlin' about, every day.

The problem is that the catch basket and mesh the skimmer came with isn't really well sized, and it doesn't seal against the pump hose inlet. The tubing is an inch in diameter, so it's big enough for even the biggest snails to sail through. Today I just cleaned a clog of snails and shells from my pump and hose. It was unpleasant and sad. Some may consider these snails a pest, but I think they're cute. They're the only species that does this weird surface-sailing thing, though, so they're the only ones I end up picking out of my skimmer.

TLDR: I need to devise a catch net to sit inside my skimmer and protect snails from falling into the pump tubing.

I am thinking of using pantyhose as the net base, but I think that might be too fine. I'd have to clean it out hourly to keep the water flowing well. The skimmer is round on the inside, so I was thinking of using an embroidery hoop to hold the net material. Cheap. Simple. Quick. But effective--assuming I can find the right netting material.

What do you guys think?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You’ve got me on this one! I’m still processing the image of all the snails cruising around on their backs — they have their own water park!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I went with a screen material, like from screen doors, that I got @ home depot for my diy skimmer, hopefully that should work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I went with a screen material, like from screen doors, that I got @ home depot for my diy skimmer, hopefully that should work!
I've thought about this. Been too lazy to look up what these screens are made of and whether or not they're fish safe! How has it been working out for you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've thought about this. Been too lazy to look up what these screens are made of and whether or not they're fish safe! How has it been working out for you?
I use the aquascape media bags (They are for bioballs) in my skimmers to keep frogs and toads from jumping into my pump section. The mesh is the perfect size for this and very strong. They are very big and can be cut and sewn into many different configurations.

Ask a Question