DIY Skimmer (sort of )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I like the looks and function of the Helux skimmer.The Helux Skimmer is a floating weir and a basket that it float/ moves in.I have not built it yet but plan to buy the floating weir and basket that fit together for 32.99 and build that into a 55 Gallon drum.
All you then need is a plate on a lip in the drum and a proper sized hole in it to fit the screen, cut an opening in the side of the drum and mount to the pond. No need to try to build a floating door system.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The Oasis AquaSkim is an inpond skimmer that works like the Helix. I've seen some DIY similar using PVC. I figured instead of a "box" I could build an inpond separation type of box to mount the Helix type of wier in. I did find out even though Helix and the design are more fish safe than flapper weir doors fish can still be caught in them with bad results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That would definitely work so long as you can install a plate similar to what's in the Helix so that the water is forced into the hole where the basket and weir go.

I have a Helix skimmer and it seems like it would be pretty hard for any fish over a few inches in length to get inside the basket.

Ask a Question