DIY Skimmers

ElijahTurtle

Pond n00b
Reaction score
Does anyone have any decent ideas for a DIY skimmer. I found one for a floating one, but I didn't like it. It takes up to much space. I was considering using a Rubbermaid tub or large trashcan & excess liner to direct the water into it. Making a basket wouldn't be to difficult to catch the debris either, but I would like to see some other ideas before I calculate that into my pond plan.

Reaction score
I heard of using some type of a plastic or pvc sink. I picked up a pool skimmer for $25, so I didn't spend the time making my own. For that price I couldn't go wrong. I did take the 1 1/2" pipe out of the pool skimmer and added a 3" PVC pipe.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i have ,what i call a filter skimmer,between my top and middle ponds....made out of a laundry tub ....its easy to work with,,and comes with a bottom drain

ElijahTurtle

Pond n00b
Reaction score
DrCase said:
i have ,what i call a filter skimmer,between my top and middle ponds....made out of a laundry tub ....its easy to work with,,and comes with a bottom drain

Got any pics? I had considered a laundry basket to go inside the skimmer for catching debris, that's what originally sparked the idea for the DIY skimmer while I was strolling through target.

Ask a Question