DIY skimmers?

Reaction score
I am super bored and might just go to HD and do this even though im not home to test it out... see if this is more detailed for you guys

2mzwps9.jpg

Reaction score
I think you'd want to go larger than 1" PVC. 1" PVC doesn't even allow 1,000 gph in free fall through a straight pipe, any bends will slow the flow.

1 1/2" would allow 2100 gph and 2" would allow 3300 gph. Of course if you are using an external pump with suction you may get more, but that will depend on the amount of suction.

Just an fyi.

Reaction score
i think i would go with at least a 2in pipe. it would be more stable as well. we would need someone that has some 4in PVC pipe to cut maybe a 12in section and stand it in the water, like your showing, and see how much sticks above the water surface. we would want it to rest at or just above water surface like maybe 1/4 in because when you turn on the pump the water in the pipe will be sucked out and the 4in PVC should sink enough to let the water flow over it. if 12in is to long maybe 10 or 8in we would just need to find the right length to get the buoyancy we needed. that may mean the it only has 4in of travel and that's enough really. what do u think?

Reaction score
yea 2 in might be right, anyone have some time to build this??? i could but im out of town and really would just be able to build it, not test it....

let me know!!!! just replace the 1 inch with 2 and the design is set. I think this would be the best way to go....

Reaction score
OK, I'll play. I have a few ideas but, how about like this? Just a brainstorm sketch.

Attachments

• SKIMMER.jpg
    SKIMMER.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 351
Reaction score
I would build this of PVC components same as your concept. Would actually have to build it to see if it works and then make adjustment and I'm not at the stage for the construction yet. I still need to get my pump and pre-filter built into my pond. The skimmer I need has to have an adjustment of at least 18 inches because my pond level changes so much. This concept will most likely not work for me so I'm just throwing out some ideas for you to think about.

Reaction score
jason081180 said:
i like it Airic, but what is it made of? how will you make sure the float just floats not sticks above the water surface? nice picture.

maybe incorporate a pool noodle or foam pipe insulator at the base of the skimmer inlet?

...like a little life preserver.

Reaction score
I will be soon. I just rigged up my main drain stem pipe to accept a pump. Hard to explain. It skims now but it’s at a fixed level water level. I'll be trying to do it with a floating skimmer but, I'm still thinking about how to go about it. A lot more physics to it than I thought.

Ask a Question