How do I improve this?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wont lie this looks really cool. But yes I agree most ones I have seen myself, are three "tiers" tall, may I ask what media you have in those baskets?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plan is to add a third top tier once the bio-balls arrive in the mail. I hope it wont tip over. I think I should go back and re-drill the holes with an actual drill bit because I only had a butterfly drill bit at the time and I had to make sure not to go too deep.

The top one will have the bio balls. The middle has the cotton fuzzy media from Petco and fiber sheets from Home Depot. The bottom has a black carbon-laced foam sheet. I would like to add something to the outtakes to make it look nicer and have the water flow smoother into the pond. I was thinking a thin metal sheet that I can bend and cut into place.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The "cotton fuzzy" is supposed to be replaced every month, max, do you do that? it gets pretty expensive after a while. If its carbon laced, do you have plants? because carbon removes ammonia and nitrates, basically everything plants need. I recommend not getting carbon laced, to much of a hassle as well as just unnecessary in this condition imo.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok. I will remove the carbon and put more filter floss in the bottom.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Filter floss if you have to much will just clog and build up debris in your filter, its very fine. Then you will have no Bio media. Just pickup a regular bio media pad, or (you said your ordering bio balls) similar, non infused, and it will be good. TBH I don't think you even need filter floss. Your better off using a couple layers of window screen that's been thoroughly cleaned in this setup.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Should be like this (in this order from top tier to bottom)

Top: Bio pad
Middle: Bio Balls
Bottom: Bio Balls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I can get more fiber pads from Home Depot, and I will remove the floss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
nice work . ihv seen lava rock is very practical can last for months without cleaning in this setup .

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wouldn't mix anything with the bio balls no. Its all you need (in my little list there), lava rock is no different than a bioball other than its natural, it is used as a growing medium for nitrifying bacteria, which is what the bio balls are there for.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0949.JPG
I added a third tier, which houses some plants and also added an aluminum base to help spread the outlet flow. I also removed the fuzz media. Bio balls are currently in transit.

Ask a Question