DIY UV light build

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I have been having all sorts of problems with my water this year for some reason. Had a algae bloom real early this year and I have been told that a UV light is the best way to get rid of algae blooms and pea soup water. So with a little creative thinking and a hours work, I made my own UV light set up.

I went to Menards and bought 2 9 watt uv lights for $99 a piece.
IMG_2701.jpg

Now with most UV lights, you have to plumb them into your tubing for the rest of the pond and sometimes get a pump to run them. Well thats where I decided to change things up a bit. I have a off brand of a Savio skimmer box and from what I can tell Savio skimmer boxes have spots in them where you can add a UV light.
IMG_2705.jpg

In order for this to work I had to cut the top off of the new housing for the uv light to be sealed up tight.
IMG_2702.jpg

Then I just had to slide it on the UV light assembly. This is with out the top piece cut off the new housing
IMG_2703.jpg

With the cut off piece on the UV light
IMG_2709.jpg

Now all put together
IMG_2708.jpg

Next I took off the covers for where the UV goes in the Skimmer box.
IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

Next I put the assembled light in the opening and plugged it in to make sure that it was working.
IMG_2707.jpg

Next I had to cut the cover for the top of the UV space so I could get the cord to fit thru and put the cover back on
IMG_2715.jpg

I did the same for the other side of the skimmer box so there is 2 9 watt UV lights and each one can handle up to 1,500 gph.
IMG_2712.jpg

Drilled a small hole at the top of the skimmer box so I could run a zip tie thru to secure the cord and set the UV light at the height that I wanted it.
IMG_2713.jpg

All complete with the cover on and UV light on.
IMG_2715.jpg

Both sides done
IMG_2712.jpg

Took a hour to do both sides and now when the water clears up, I can take it out and put it away for next year. No having to run hoses or running a new pump. Still is just the same as using the housing that it came with, just not nearly the hassel.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hey...can you send me the hose nipples and screw caps for them...i have one of those 9 watt tetrapond U.Vs and one of the inlet caps is broken...and you wont be needing them now!! please!...clever idea you had....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
did you get my P.M (private message)? THE PARTS I REALLY NEED ARE THE BLACK CAPS THAT HOLD THE HOSE NIPPLES. BUT I'LL TAKE THEM ALL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Did you put the bulb directly into the water? This looks like a great idea. I have a Savio skimmer, but it only has one spot for the uv, in the center. I really want to try this, the pond is having a HUGE algae bloom.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I put it directly in the water just like it would have been if I hadn't cut the housing apart. You just have to make sure you use the threaded top piece to seal up the light bulb housing. Took nine days to clear my 3500 gal pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's impressive!!! What brand clarifier did you buy? We don't have a Menards here so I will probably have to order one online.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
It's a Tetrapond clarifier. I was unsure if it would work but that is what the holes are for in the skinner box. Much easier than having to to plumb it in to your existing set up and having to add ball valves and such.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Just checking to see if your uv clarifier is working? I just realized my skimmer is a compact, there is only 1 space for uv clarifier and it's in the center. I found a retrofit uv clarifier for $179 and trying to decide if I should buy it or just let nature take it's course.

Ask a Question