Do any of you grow Swamp Milkweed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am getting some via mail order. I am wondering if it will be ok to put it right into the gravel of the bog? Or should I grow on land? Should I try a bit of both? Just wondering if anyone has experience growing it. Thanks!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi, I have several types of milkweed including swamp. Are you getting seeds or plants? If plants, go ahead and put it in the bog. I had some in mine but it got choked out by other plants so now just have it in the gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thank you! Yes, I am getting plants! I appreciate the input!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have these volunteers growing just now blooming. In the ground

20210623_150339.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Before we moved, I tried growing swamps for several seasons — had them in the bog, shallow water. They never thrived, and I was never able to figure out what I was doing wrong. Some suggested NOT having them directly in the bog might be better, but by then, I was defeated so gave up on them. Then there were the nasty little orange aphid-things!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I think I will try a few in the bog and a few in the dirt. I also have Joe Pye weed. I think that is all going in the ground because I want the height in a certain area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I grow mine right at the edge. These milkweeds like a little more moisture than the common ones. Never thought of putting it right in gravel though…these plants will grow massive tap roots.. not sure if putting it in a bog will make the plant thrive. Also loves clay soil which I have plenty of in Virginia. Monarch’s didn’t lay eggs on it until after the 3rd or 4th year of having this plant. And when it’s happy it can get up to 5-6 feet tall so prepare for that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have swamp milkweed growing in the bog - comes back every year, lovely scented flowers. It's in a shallow spot and seems to spread where it can stay "boggy" but not underwater. Word to the wise - I do try to trim many of the seed pods before they ripen. Otherwise you will be sharing the wealth far and wide, if you get my drift!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Its pretty agressive here in the north east. i see fields of it on the row.. i Get your drift @Lisak1 but i will say this few plants attract butterflies like it does

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have some growing in the flower beds and thought about some in the bog. Then I wondered how the monarch larva would get off the plant. From my understanding the eggs are laid on milkweed and the larva eat the foliage on that plant and then when they are ready to make their chrysalis they leave the milkweed. They have enough to worry about with flying to Mexico, I don’t want to give them another obstacle to conquer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's all in bloom here right now . Good year for it apparently

Ask a Question