Do Goldfish Play?

Reaction score
As most of you know, i am new at fish raising. So, i don't really know what to look for if they are sick, what is normal or if they are just playing around. Sometimes it even looks like they are kissing. It seems like they are getting braver about coming out and going up to the top of the water...just for a split second. A couple of times I've seen one or two race around and slightly skip the top of the water, then go back to swimming normal. Some just hang around the bottom, moving a little every now and then. Sometimes they chase each other. So, you see, there are a number of things fish do that i have no idea is normal or not. Is ther a site that could help inform me of things to be concerned about?
I can't get close enough to examine them, besides I wouldn't know what I should look for. they don't look bad to me. In fact all the babies are starting to get bigger and show their colors now.
I have two black ones that used to be hard to see, but now i can tell wherever they are in the pond. They always are together and don't mingle much with the other Golds.

Thanks,
susan

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
of course they do .Mine will swim against the water outlet and I also buy the over sized christmas ornaments I seal the ends and they push them around .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've heard that they do seem to play, but only THEY know what's really going on in their little fishy brains :).

I'm new to ponding, also. As I read about illnesses and behaviors that could indicate poor water quality (etc.), I feel like a fish-hypochondriac, and I catch myself over analyzing every time I see a fish acting just a little "different." So, finally decided that the best thing to do is just keep an eye on the fish, and see how it acts & interacts over time -- unless it's an OBVIOUS problem. So far, so good, and any unusual behavior has been temporary.

I have 2 cute little calico fantails in a QT as we speak. One is chasing the other around and bumping it, in what I am assuming is "spawning" behavior. But a year ago I would have thought I had a BULLY fish.

I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying your pond and getting to know your fish!

Reaction score
They've been living in their new pond for two months now, and I think they are finally getting compfortable enough to 'claim' their own favorite fan-out...a place to wave their flirty fins. It's the little ones that seem to get a kick out of being intrusive and then darting off to one of the familar algae hide-outs. They remind me of how cats act when they get a bit of a wildness in their head and streak about the house for no apparent reason....and then just stop and have this look that seems to say that meant something, and needed to be done...right then. A 'cats only' kind of thing...
I hope they are all happy and healthy, cause they sure are good for me and a joy to watch. Almost as much as fun as my turtles! Geeze, now i know where all my time goes...no wonder my house is looking like, well...like i'd rather be looking outside where all the action is. LOL...here a swim, there a swim, everywhere a swim swim.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like to think they play and sometimes they look like they play so I'll say they play but then who am I? Maybe their play of tag and chase is how they learn to survive from predators but it starts as a game and leads to learning. Lots of animals start the learning process by playing.

Ha Ha I like that idea of sending Haro out to test things :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Event think they are way more intelegent than they are letting on personally.
Koi Carp learn as they go along it is a fact that they become net savvy......
They can be trained to eat from your hand even allow you to handle them without freaking out.
Once they get to know feeding times they can differenciate between British Winter time and British Summer time feeding times and probaby much much more.
Fishermen tell tales about the large and whiley Carp that use weed clumps to break the fishing line

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question