Do i clean my pond?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
i have a pond 3 feet deep, 10 feet by 10 feet with a canister filter. i live in ontario, and i dont have any problems with how clean the pond is. the question is my hardy water lily is doing very well, but i am concerned its root system may be crowding the fish. it was divided 4 years ago, and i have about 15 goldfish. if i almost empty the pond to divided the lily and see what its like down there, will i disturb the frogs that live there? do i even need to divide the lily. other than the filtration, and s winter heater the pond mostly takes care of itself

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, first of all WELCOME! I see you joined a few years ago but this is your first post, so hello!

It sounds like you have a waterlily growing directly in your pond, not in a pot? If that's the case, I would suggest that you get that rectified ASAP as it will soon take over your entire pond! Unless you don't mind it taking over - and I do mean TAKING OVER - then you can leave it be. But most people will grow lilies only in containers in their pond so they can keep it under control.

Will you disturb the frogs that live there by poking around and getting that lily under control? Well, probably. But they'll get over it. If they like where they live, they'll let you do what you need to do and then take up right where they left off.

Share some pictures of your pond - we do love pictures!

Ask a Question