Do I empty the small pond for winter?

Reaction score
:icon_smile:Hi , I am new here today. Also new with pond (small) and will be needing advice to help me along. We were at lowes in early Sept. and couldn't resist a sale on ponds. $29.00 with pump and fountain. About 4 foot X 3 ft. with ledge for plants. We were not expecting to be keeping fish because of the depth but wanted it for visual and sound in our flower garden next to our patio. Armed with shovel and back fill sand, it went in easily. and water started flowing within hours. Now, winter approaches , do I empty the water from it , or? Also we went on holidays and pump was off and the sides have accumulated a green scum. Best way to clean that off , would be appreciated. Thanks for any help.:100:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
First of all, you have a pond without fish so leaving the pump on all winter makes no sense at all.
Second, all preformed ponds have draft angles so when the water freezes, it will just rise and shouldn't rupture the plastic.
Personally, I would drain it and remove the pump. If you have plants, set up a rubbermaid container inside with your pump going to circulate the water. You will have plants for the spring that way.

Reaction score
Thanks for answers, we had quite a frost here least night. Common sense dictates removal of water and pump to prevent damage. Guess I'll just cover the empty pond with something that will keep the snow from building up in it and try to be patient until spring time for the grand (re-opening) . It's small but I have heard that you have to start somewhere. Maybe a bulldozer will be called in. Appreciate your response. w.s.:icon_smile:

Attachments

• 2008-111-GardenPond6.jpg
    2008-111-GardenPond6.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 477

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Looks nice. I think I would put a plastic crate or something in it after draining to make a tent when you cover it to keep it from filling up with snow and rain.

Ask a Question