Do I need a filter without fish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Just finished building my pond. The intention is to have a nice water spot with a fountain pump running. We don't plan on putting fish in as our neighbour told us the local cats nabbed the goldies from his pond.

As a water "feature", do I need a UV filter?

With thanks in advance

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Simple, short answer.....No.
Assuming that you will have aquatic plants, a Water Garden does not require any biofiltration, nor should it need a UV. Depending on size, mechanical filtration may be a wise option.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Your biggest enemy without fish will be mosquitoes. Consider mosquito fish. Cat wont be able to get them all once they multiple. They will survive well even without a filter or you feeding them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my lily pond has no fish and just an aerator stone in it and throw a mosquito blocks in it every 2 or 3 months center pic is new bud on lily.last pic is when I neglected it and it turned green .

Attachments

• 100_6962.JPG
    100_6962.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_7074.JPG
    100_7074.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 000_0005.JPG
    000_0005.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 239
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you guys. To be honest I don't even think I'll be putting any plants in it so I can't see why it would turn green. Unless there are other variables in not aware of?
This is it.
CameraZOOM-20160917150831644.jpg
CameraZOOM-20160917150842302.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you guys. To be honest I don't even think I'll be putting any plants in it so I can't see why it would turn green. Unless there are other variables in not aware of?
This is it.
View attachment 95042 View attachment 95043

It is less likely for the water to turn green if you have plants. All water contains certain levels of Nitrate and Phosphorus. These levels are usually sufficient to support an initial algae bloom. Since what you have in mind is more of a reflecting pool than an actual pond, treating the water with the same chlorine compounds used in swimming pools will keep the water clear. This can be done only if there are absolutely no plants or fish as they will not survive the Chlorine.
Usually water movement is enough to eliminate any mosquito breeding problem, but to be sure, use the Mosquito Dunks as Sissy suggested.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is less likely for the water to turn green if you have plants. All water contains certain levels of Nitrate and Phosphorus. These levels are usually sufficient to support an initial algae bloom. Since what you have in mind is more of a reflecting pool than an actual pond, treating the water with the same chlorine compounds used in swimming pools will keep the water clear. This can be done only if there are absolutely no plants or fish as they will not survive the Chlorine.
Usually water movement is enough to eliminate any mosquito breeding problem, but to be sure, use the Mosquito Dunks as Sissy suggested.
Wow. So much knowledge here. Thanks dude. I'm hesitant to use chemicals just in case fish become an option in the future. But this is good stuff to know.

Many thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can also use peroxide .It cleans my birdbaths and does not harm the birds .I use 2 cap fulls

Attachments

• pics on durecell back up 067.JPG
    pics on durecell back up 067.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you think other critters will use the pond? even with no plants, if you dont use chemical, frogs, dragonfly, other critters will come to your pond. I used to have a garden/wildlife pond where i just put submerge plants in and then i got tons of dragonfly nymphs (that's my goal, more dragonfly to eat mosquitoes) and my water stay clear and not stagnant, even without any pump.

If i have a pond like that I'll put the fountain in the middle, then a few lotus / water lilies at the corners and leave them be. those will add the feel of what you have there (with the little Buddha and all)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Never heard of mosquito dunks or mosquito fish for that matter as both the OP and myself are from the UK! Do we even get mozzies here in the UK, I know we get gnats, are they the same? Aparrently they are one and the same, well what do I know!

Ask a Question